Fuel prices and inflation on the rise

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 930 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• About time to plant our corn here, if the farmers can afford the fertilize and buy electric tractors, since fossil fuel has been banned. Cannot use

mules or oxen, since they "fart" too often, releasing unwanted obnoxious gas into our atmosphere!!!!

OH, the bike looks great also!!!!

• About time to plant our corn here, if the farmers can afford the fertilize and buy electric tractors, since fossil fuel has been banned. Cannot use

mules or oxen, since they "fart" too often, releasing unwanted obnoxious gas into our atmosphere!!!!

OH, the bike looks great also!!!!

That's the first I've heard of this. Surely there would be an outcry if this were to happen?

• daniel , Who is it who has banned fossil fuel? Arkansas’ Republican legislature? Your post is the first suggestion I’ve seen of such a ban.

It might as well be banned, paid $5.00 dollar for a gallon od diesel this morning, needless to say the tank was

not topped out, just can not afford that on my fixed ibcome.

• Oh I see. When you said “fossil fuel has been banned,” I thought you actually believed it.

Here are the reasons fuel prices are higher all over the world, not just in the US:

Washington Post, 21 March 2022

Let’s be honest about what really caused the gas price spike

Editorial Board

U.S. gas prices are up nearly $1.50 from a year ago. Americans are feeling the pinch and looking for someone to blame. At the top of the list should be Russian President Vladimir Putin. Since his brutal invasion of Ukraine, gas prices surged almost 80 cents — accounting for more than half of the increase.

The second biggest driver of high gas prices is rebounding demand as the U.S. economy recovers from the deadly pandemic. The increase of roughly 70 cents that occurred before Mr. Putin’s invasion is largely due to people venturing out again for travel, work and school, and the surge in truckers crisscrossing the nation to move goods. Though President Biden’s hefty stimulus package added somewhat to inflation, the reopening effect was far larger. But predictably, especially given that this is an election year with control of both houses of Congress in the balance, Republican politicians are blaming Mr. Biden for pain at the pump. Stickers are popping up on gas pumps with a photo of Mr. Biden and the words “I did that.”

The reality is, presidents have little influence on gas prices. Oil trades in a global market. Drilling in the United States is done by private companies, not the government. Americans also have other priorities right now, including doing what they can to tip the balance in Ukraine against the aggressors. Poll after poll shows the vast majority support cutting off Russian oil imports, even if it means prices go up.

Story continues below advertisement

So what can be done to lower gas prices? The biggest help would be more oil supply coming to the world market from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Iran or Venezuela. There are already efforts to make this happen. U.S. oil production also appears to be rising, spurred by higher oil prices. And there are signs the global economy, especially China, is slowing, meaning less demand for oil.

Mr. Biden could release more oil from Strategic Petroleum Reserve, but it would have minimal impact. Cutting gas taxes, another idea that politicians turn to when oil prices are rising, would be a mistake. It would likely cause a surge in gas purchases and a loss of revenue for road repairs, as well as bring more profit for oil companies, which would likely raise gas prices a bit. Mr. Biden is also berating businesses for price gouging. But it has long been true that gas prices have a tendency to rise much faster than they fall, and presidential tweets are unlikely to change that.

A better step Mr. Biden could take is to work with Congress to pass aid for lower-income families if gas prices remain high. This could have a double benefit of offsetting higher costs and encouraging households to conserve energy so they can keep any leftover money.

With gasoline prices at historically high levels, Americans are demanding relief. Any solution should begin with some honesty from their leaders about what — and who — is to blame, as well as an acknowledgment of the fact that many of the forces currently driving costs upward are simply beyond anyone’s control.

• Oh I see. When you said “fossil fuel has been banned,” I thought you actually believed it.

Darn misinformation!!!!

Let’s be honest about what really caused the gas price spike

Knowing does not help!!! Whatever the cause, inflation is hurting!!! Time we go to the Supermarket, Walmart usually, and fuel the car, not much left for the rest of the month.

The Wife and I feel blessed because our house is paid for and the car and my truck are paid for, but their are a lot of people out their whom are not that fortunate.

• Darn misinformation!!!!

Knowing does not help!!! Whatever the cause, inflation is hurting!!! Time we go to the Supermarket, Walmart usually, and fuel the car, not much left for the rest of the month.

The Wife and I feel blessed because our house is paid for and the car and my truck are paid for, but their are a lot of people out their whom are not that fortunate.

Yes, I’ll agree that inflation is hurting, and understanding that this is a worldwide problem doesn’t help that. But knowing [what is causing that inflation] does help one thing: it helps us from drawing incorrect conclusions and wrongly placing blame.

• I'm reading the posts from last March, and thinking what a difference 9 months makes:

In March, the USA had an annual inflation rate of 5.0% and now it is down to 3.2%.

In March, Argentina had an annual inflation rate of 90.5% and now it is 147.2%.

Given the worldwide inflation fueled largely by Covid, decreased OPEC oil production, and widespread drought, the USA has the lowest inflation in the world, yet the voters blame the current president and many will use that as an excuse to vote for his opponent. Here in Argentina, if inflation had ever been as low as the highest rate in the US, voters would have crowned Massa and continued the reign of the K's.

BTW, the current unemployment rate in the USA is 3.7%, meaning that all who want jobs can get them. That's more good economic news for the current president, who began his term of office with an unemployment rate of 6.3%, which is about what Argentina's unemployment rate is now.

• You're so right. Can you just see what would happen in the USA if we actually had inflation and fuel prices like Europe has had? And don't even think about the whining and crying that would happen on a large scale if we were in Argentina's shoes.