New device said to unlock iPhones

There are 17 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,795 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I clicked on the above link because of my interest in what the "news" may have been regarding "iPhone".

However, my security system I have installed for my computer (provided for by my ISP) gave an immediate warning about the site the link directs one to,

as being UNSAFE.

So I decided not to attempt to over-ride that warning. The last thing I need is to encounter a computer virus.

• Might be erring on the ultra-cautious side. I use Windows Defender (switched from third-party products after trusted reviewers gave it high marks). When I followed the link there was no immediate fuss, but then a warning box said that the site wanted to send popups. I said no, and that was that. That might have been the reason.

According to this, iDrop's sin is selling stuff.

• Might be erring on the ultra-cautious side. I use Windows Defender (switched from third-party products after trusted reviewers gave it high marks). When I followed the link there was no immediate fuss, but then a warning box said that the site wanted to send popups. I said no, and that was that. That might have been the reason.

According to this, iDrop's sin is selling stuff.

Yes, sometimes the Security features pertaining to website safety are "over cautious", however I usually heed the advice of my internet security warnings

as I have been "burnt" a few times by not doing so!

And the cost of having a "virus infection" removed from my computer is on the costly side: Anywhere from USD 199.00 to 399.00 (at Best Buy Stores);

or if I go to Microsoft (with a current yearly Tech Help), USD 149.00.

But of course, it isn't just the "cost" that matters; the frustration, worry, and fear (sometimes) when encountering these viruses, just isn't my "cup of tea"!;)

• I agree with the wisdom of paying attention to warning boxes! Since Kaspersky didn't scare me off this site, I read it, and could copy & paste for anyone who would like.

Kaspersky has never steered me wrong on Internet safety, but they are probably just quietly sucking out personal data until they are ready to help Putin throw the next election. (Before Dennison lovers jump on me, that was a joke!)

• Spectrum (Charter Communications) - my ISP - is notoriously "critical" of just about every website.

So much so that (if I know personally they are full of B.S. on a certain, specific website, I ignore their warnings.

I used Kaspersky sometime ago; but the website security software that I really like the most is : https://eset.com/us

I am considering going back to them; right now Charter provides the security software for free when a customer of their interne service.

• Are the eset prices shown for an annual subscription? And is your platform Windows? If so, I'm sure you're aware that Windows Defender that comes free with Win10 is a highly-rated antivirus utility. That's why I stopped using third-party AVG.

• Official Post

I stopped using third party AV years ago, as all they do is nag, nag and more nagging. Norton is the worst for this and is simply junk.

With Win 7 customers I only use Microsoft Security Essentials and when things go really wrong MalwareBytes, but even they are becoming assholes about level of protection nowadays, trying to force Premuim versions on people, when it all used to be free.

For Win 10 I only use Windows Defender, which is the same really as MSE for Win 7.

There are too many AV and tuning products out there that promise the Earth, but end up as simply placebos.

• I stopped using third party AV years ago, as all they do is nag, nag and more nagging. Norton is the worst for this and is simply junk.

With Win 7 customers I only use Microsoft Security Essentials and when things go really wrong MalwareBytes, but even they are becoming assholes about level of protection nowadays, trying to force Premuim versions on people, when it all used to be free.

For Win 10 I only use Windows Defender, which is the same really as MSE for Win 7.

There are too many AV and tuning products out there that promise the Earth, but end up as simply placebos.

Yup. Third-party vendors offering free versions do so with the hope that you'll upgrade to the paid version. The best way to achieve that end is to scare us into thinking that we need more than whatever level of protection we already have. Then we'll sign up and pay. I've no problem with that - the free market offers a product and we're free to choose. But with current Windows there's another option.

I'm no Microsoft apologist, but there are a whole lot of good things they do for which they get little or no credit. AV is one, with Windows Defender (previously MSE, as Splinter notes). It's a good, better than just adequate utility, and nobody forced them to include it with Windows - they just did. Credit where it's due.

I used to be a fan of Norton and McAfee, when the products did useful things, but Microsoft essentially bundled equivalent utilities into Windows, so people like Norton and McAfee are now reduced to using scare tactics to sell their stuff.

• Official Post

And try downloading Flash updates, forgetting the FREE! McAfee addition, when most people just click next, next and next.

At a customer's house yesterday her previous tech had installed Christ knows what crap - tuners, hard drive clean ups and al sorts of other meaningless junk and she actually thought it was doing her some good.

Clearly, I got rid of the lot and installed MSE. Bu the point here is that many people, especially the vulnerable will accept anything a tech throws at them. And pay handsomely too.

• Are the eset prices shown for an annual subscription? And is your platform Windows? If so, I'm sure you're aware that Windows Defender that comes free with Win10 is a highly-rated antivirus utility. That's why I stopped using third-party AVG.

As far as I know, prices listed at the website of "Eset" are for an annual subscription.

One of the reasons why I prefer ESET security software is their "in house" Tech Support Team who will run a FULL security check, Virus removal, and deletion of unnecessary files which serve no actual useful function on one's computer. However, the individual must have a current virus subscription - (additional charge applies for this Tech Service - but it is much less than most other businesses that provide this service).

The second reason why I prefer ESET over any other Virus Software is the fact that I never had a "false positive" when visiting any website while using their

virus protection on my computer. I plan to subscribe again soon - both for my computer and smart phone.

As for Windows Defender, it is currently active on my computer.

• Official Post

YouTube comment on iPhone users...

iPhone is made for simpletons who pay a premium price for the simplicity, additional attachments/dongles and the feeling of being a part of an exclusive iPhone owners club all the while letting the world know that they are morons. Apple knows how to get sales thanks to these special "consumers" lol

I'll grab my coat...

• I can't remember the last time I installed and or used any third party AV, MSE or Windows Defender has always worked for me.

For malware scans I only use SAS, since Malwarebytes wanted to delete all my W10 updated drivers.

I do still run two older PC's with XP and Vista installed, but I boot the PC's from a small SSD with LInux Mint, which allows me to have internet and a Windows install for whatever. Works well but I just will not go online with XP or Vista.