If you want to live to a nice old age, alcohol is better than exercise.

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,475 times. The latest Post () was by EJLarson.

• A close friend of mine (a medical doctor) told me:

"Just give them (referring to the "news media") a month or two and they will contradict what they previously said."

And I have numerous times noticed this to be very true; one more reason why I seldom watch the "news casts"!

DJ

• You are so right. The medical profession itself says “never mind” a lot when something that was bad/good for us actually turns out to be good/bad for us. A few years ago, but I remember clearly when we were told to stay away from eggs, liver, or shrimp, because they contained cholesterol and eating them raised our serum cholesterol which caused a condition known as “death” - and that, they explained, was very bad for us.

Until they decided that serum cholesterol wasn’t affected by eating things containing cholesterol, so - never mind.

• You are so right. The medical profession itself says “never mind” a lot when something that was bad/good for us actually turns out to be good/bad for us. A few years ago, but I remember clearly when we were told to stay away from eggs, liver, or shrimp, because they contained cholesterol and eating them raised our serum cholesterol which caused a condition known as “death” - and that, they explained, was very bad for us.

Until they decided that serum cholesterol wasn’t affected by eating things containing cholesterol, so - never mind.

EJLarson, I do agree, and scratch my head at, the 180's done as research improves and dispels former "certainties." Not that any of that is the fault of the news media who report these findings -

My doctor keeps telling me otherwise regarding the weight situation.

I don't know how people can keep to a precise weight, but that's my doctor for you

SpaceNut , I believe I know your doctor. He subscribes to the part of the quote attributed to the Duchess of Windsor that proclaims one can never be too thin.

• EJLarson, I do agree, and scratch my head at, the 180's done as research improves and dispels former "certainties." Not that any of that is the fault of the news media who report these findings -

Understand, I'm surely not complaining that research continues and that mistakes are acknowledged. What is infuriating is that insistence by so many researchers to immediately publish every little new thing they find, whether or not it has been confirmed, resulting in a lot of "excuse me's."

Around 30 years ago the front page was filled with "coffee causes birth defects!" Pregnant women were, naturally, terrified. I don't remember how long it took, but probably a year or more before someone discovered that these morons hadn't filtered for smoking!

Never mind.