Enjoying the Colon even if you are not a fan of the classics

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,075 times. The latest Post () was by TomAtAlki.

• Official Post

Poor Carlos will fall off his chair after reading this.

The Colón theater will host a DJ show this Thursday. I am not sure the younger crowd and the sophisticate venue are a good match. We'll see. For now, let's just pray everything will go smoothly.

La música electrónica llega al Colón con DJ Cattáneo y hay polémica

Se presenta este jueves en el marco de un festival que también contará con la participación de artistas populares como Karina “La Princesita”. Advierten sobre un posible deterioro en la acústica de la sala.

1702djcattaneocedocgjpg.jpg

• I actually fall from my chair.

But anyway this is an universal trend, and more in fashion here because all established manners are related with the traditional oligarchy and the dictatorships that we endured.

It is not the first time when the Teatro Colon allows to work there popular artists of the worst sort.

As an example, Cacho Castaña, a very popular but rough, unrefined singer, had showed his "art" in the Colón. I will not be suprised if in the future some "cumbia tumbera " band will be allowed to play there. "Cumbia tumbera" is the "cumbia of the prisons", loved by the worst of our proletariat.

And there appears another anomaly: The cumbia music is not national, it is from the Caribbean, with people who has nothing to do with ours, although they speak Spanish as the only common trait.

The roots of this fashion to mix up all manifestations of culture comes from a crucial statement:

Some people includes in the meaning "culture" all kinds of literature, music, painting and manners, because they do not see any difference between cultures: all are valid, no hierarchy could be noted.

On the contrary (and it will show my ultra conservative insight) I believe that all cultures deserves to exist, but there is a ranking between cultures. You cannot consider equal, cultures like the British, French, Italian, German, Spanish as those from primitive peoples which still exist like the Bantu tribes or the Mongolian peasants. (I do not like to quote many others to prevent any offense to other readers)-

• Official Post

But anyway this is an universal trend, and more in fashion here because all established manners are related with the traditional oligarchy and the dictatorships that we endured.

Do you think this reaction is alike to the one existing in Italy, where any form of conservatism is labelled as fascism, and hence anything should be permitted?

• I am 33 so should be fine with it, but I just don't see the point. Isn't there a field somewhere they can go.

If you refer if there are places where popular artist can go, yes, there are many: soccer stadiums, parks, and other theaters as well. In fact, the Government of BA is actually promoting these events, with an including criteria.

• Do you think this reaction is alike to the one existing in Italy, where any form of conservatism is labelled as fascism, and hence anything should be permitted?

Yes, I think it is the same. As we remember the dictatorship from 1976-1983 which was the most regarded as obnoxious, here this trend is much more strong.

Italy had not dictatorships since 1945. And Italians never exxagerated in any sense, good or evil.

(The race laws of Mussolini of 1938 were never well received by the Italians; if there is a virtue among the italians is that they exercise its own critical criteria in all fields)

As regards the property of the use of music: will you accept a funeral accompanied with a Strauss Waltz? Well, a formal opera theater as the Colon, the Berlin Opera house, the Scala of Milano, are not places to hear music whose main instruments are batteries and loudspeakers for the singers.

• Unlike Carlos, I do not "belong" to Argentine society and its culture. Nonetheless, I view this as nothing less than a tragedy.

You, as an American, do not belong to the Argentine society, but we share a common heritage in our Western culture. A thing that some "indigenists" wish to neglect. (i.e. the withdrawal of the Columbus statue near Plaza de Mayo)

• Official Post

You, as an American, do not belong to the Argentine society, but we share a common heritage in our Western culture. A thing that some "indigenists" wish to neglect. (i.e. the withdrawal of the Columbus statue near Plaza de Mayo)

When my Argentinian mother in law gets angry at the indigenous culture, she says that if it wasn't for the European colons they would still be sitting with a feather on their head. She completes this with a picture miming said feather.

• When my Argentinian mother in law gets angry at the indigenous culture, she says that if it wasn't for the European colons they would still be sitting with a feather on their head. She completes this with a picture miming said feather.

And she is right. Our Indians were strongly undeveloped, nothing to do with the Aztecs or Incas.

They were just entering in the Neolithic period, mainly pursuing survival through fishing or hunting. And also there were very few.

Only in the northern provinces they had some craftmanship doing fabrics with the " llama" wool.

That because they received influence of the Incas, whose capital was Cuzco, in Peru.

• I am not a fan of DJ shows but would like to have seen Rod Stewart (here last weekend) at the colon rather than at a field (the Hippodrome) where I didn't/wouldn't go. I think the youth (including me at 72) should be allowed to enjoy the theaters around town including the Colon. The theaters also deserve respect and no damage from the concerts. It seems to work in Seattle where Rock and Roll and Classic venues work.