Fighting spam

There are 10 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• There's been a recent surge in spam activity as you will have noticed, in spite of the security measures we have in place.

I hope to have another measure in place very shortly which will operate behind the scenes.

PM me if you'd like to know how this will work.

I do hope you are successful in blocking spam activity! It is an up-hill battle for sure.

Today on 4T Forum, I just happened to log on while an active spammer was on there going to every possible Thread and Post.

Just in 20 minutes - while I was jotting down the IP Address to the time I successfuly blocked this despicable beast - he (?) had

made 147 additional "visits" to forum threads and posts.

I read on AHA (Against Hackers Alliance) that there are at least 40,000 to 50,000 spammers, bots, hackers, and cyber space terrorists

attacking websites and forums EVERY DAY.

DJ

• I read on AHA (Against Hackers Alliance) that there are at least 40,000 to 50,000 spammers, bots, hackers, and cyber space terrorists

attacking websites and forums EVERY DAY.

DJ

But what's the purpose? I have always thought it was just to mess up with others, but as the spammers become more sophisticated, I miss the point even more. Why spend time to make something worth nothing, when that time could be spent to make something for their benefit? Like a software, an app or something useful to make money...

• But what's the purpose? I have always thought it was just to mess up with others, but as the spammers become more sophisticated, I miss the point even more. Why spend time to make something worth nothing, when that time could be spent to make something for their benefit? Like a software, an app or something useful to make money...

It confounds me. The spammers who have posted on this site don't seem malicious (of course I've never clicked on their links) and the products, if they exist, that they push seem small-market in a ludicrous way.

What the hell is in it for them?

• I don't understand, either. Splinter, how about a simple explanation of Bots For Dummies?

From Wikipedia:

Forum spam consists of posts on Internet forums that contains related or unrelated advertisements, links to malicious websites, trolling and abusive or otherwise unwanted information. Forum spam is usually posted onto message boards by automated spambots or manually with unscrupulous intentions with one idea in mind: to get the spam in front of readers who would not otherwise have anything to do with it intentionally.

The recent wave of spam posts have been made by 'new members' with innocuous sounding IDs so one has to assume that these are not automated. Anyway, all their IP addresses have now been blocked.

• Besides that, there are always people out there in "internet land" who do the things they do just so they can make someone else have a "bad day".:rolleyes:

Good luck with THAT one! After experiencing one or two indefatigable forum trolls, I'd say that putting up with someone trying to sell us edible algae sponges is merely mildly irritating.