Six Months In The Argentine

There are 123 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,538 times. The latest Post () was by aficionado.

• Your timing is horrible, but as someone said: "Don't move to Argentina because it is cheap. Move to Argentina because you like it".

Bring the curry! And the cinnamon sticks.

I am not sure if I am more shocked at the price or because they have already sold 5 units.

I think Badia is imported,

I have bought the cardamoms pods by Dusen and they are very flavorful. Perhaps also their curry is up to it. My curry from Aldi UK is yellow, though.

• I wish I could offer to bring some bits and bobs over for you all but even for 6 months I'm on hand luggage only.

For the record, I'm flying BA via Manchester. Outbound Premium economy plus selected seat, return in October economy for £1118 which isn't much more than I paid last year for economy both ways. I think that's pretty decent really.

serafina I've been coming for 34 years or so and am definitely not, nor never have visited for the cheapness. In the real world of course, the financial side matters and I suspect I will be doing a lot of cost-cutting. I've looked at the supermarket websites and restaurant and bar websites and social media pages to be as up to date as I can be. I am shocked here and there by what I learn about costs, including what I read here, but I will be in Argentina to work and live and not to be out on the razz every night.

I'm a little nervous and that's ok.

I will make the kind of observational posts right here, like I did last year which were quite well received by you all so I'm looking forward to it.

• Air Bnb. My Olivos place isn't available now until the end of May. An inevitability of leaving everything this late. I've found a place near Alto Palermo which looks decent and is a lot cheaper actually. I haven't booked it yet but it should help fill some of the gap I have. The the latter 3 months I want to stay in an AirBnB in Belgrano. Again, nothing booked yet. Things have been fast moving today and I'm putting the pieces together. First week at the Ibis Obelisco which is where I always stay first week. That's booked.

• The the latter 3 months I want to stay in an AirBnB in Belgrano. Again, nothing booked yet.

Have a good flight. 6 months is a nice stretch through the seasons without doing the hot summer. You mention Belgrano. More recent years I have enjoyed Villa Urquiza too. It does not have the classic apartment buildings of the older barrio, but is still has a great neighborhood feel wandering around. Often we did a long walk from there to Belgrano. It is ideal at the end of the Subte B line, at the intersection of Mitre rail line. Very safe area.

• My main work is bankruptcy but I do a bit of more mainstream accounting work too doing self assessment returns for construction industry workers who get tax repayments every year. Most of that work is already done for this year. And I do a bit of derivatives trading as well. A bit of a mixed and varied schedule of work.

• My main work is bankruptcy but I do a bit of more mainstream accounting work too doing self assessment returns for construction industry workers who get tax repayments every year. Most of that work is already done for this year. And I do a bit of derivatives trading as well. A bit of a mixed and varied schedule of work.

A couple of my family members in the UK were/are involved in the financial industry.

• I don't like to work too much these days but don't want to become my own bankruptcy client so I look to do a bit here and there to keep funds topped up.

I very much want to arrive with the right mindset really. I'm not arriving on a 6 month jolly and I'm not fully retired. So I want to get a work routine going after the first 2 weeks or so which will be more like a holiday I suppose. Otherwise I will get into bad habits that lead me astray! :P

• I don't like to work too much these days but don't want to become my own bankruptcy client so I look to do a bit here and there to keep funds topped up.

I very much want to arrive with the right mindset really. I'm not arriving on a 6 month jolly and I'm not fully retired. So I want to get a work routine going after the first 2 weeks or so which will be more like a holiday I suppose. Otherwise I will get into bad habits that lead me astray! :P

Can you work remotely in your line of business?

• Do you recall Rice recommending me a visit to the New Brighton in the Microcentro last May? On my last night that trip it was closed. It's towards the top of my list for a visit in the first 10 days of May this year.

Amongst other places of course so microcentro recommendations for food and drink are welcome. I don't care whether its a bar, confiteria, parilla, Chinese restaurant, British or Irish pub...anywhere you like to visit downtown.

• I do remember recommending The New Brighton, on Sarmiento. Since then, we’ve been there a couple of times and enjoyed delicious meals in elegant surroundings. I hope they will be able to stay in business during these difficult days.

For pizza, have you tried El Cuartito? I think you’d like the pizza as well as the atmosphere.

We rarely go into microcentro, so right now I am not able to think of other recommendations. The other places we always enjoyed closed during Covid.