Canva takes over the Affinity suite

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 405 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• I must admit this software suite is good, but there are dark clouds with fans, well I wouldn't say not approving of the takeover, but basically, they don't like Canva because most are scared that Canva will introduce a subscription base model for the software. But from where I see this, Canva may introduce certain features into the software suite, that will require subscription, basically, like extra stuff, the ability to allow people to collaborate on design etc...much like their model, and the introduction of AI, which like I said, will need a subscription, because most of the AI stuff requires subscription

Canva acquires design platform Affinity to bring professional design tools to every organization
    Company reinforces its focus on the enterprise in a step to build an all-in-one platform for every type of designer.
    affinity.serif.com

Affinity is a Nottingham based software company in the UK, while Canva are Australian based

• Are the costs for the Argentinian market that high?

You are correct. In the Argentina market, the price is reasonable Ar$ 30956.64/year for Photoshop. These days that is less than a weeks worth of shopping at the local verduleria. ;)

It is the point that you must subscribe and never own the software. In the past, software could be bought for perhaps $50 and then used for many years. For photo editing there might not be any reason to ever need new features, but if you wanted you did have the option to pay for a newer version. This new subscription model, does not allow the option to be satisfied for a few years with the features of your current version.

• It is the point that you must subscribe and never own the software. In the past, software could be bought for perhaps $50 and then used for many years. For photo editing there might not be any reason to ever need new features, but if you wanted you did have the option to pay for a newer version. This new subscription model, does not allow the option to be satisfied for a few years with the features of your current version.

This is unfortunately true for many softwares.

Right now, the only software I own, is a professional software that I am using for my work. I still have the 2021 version, which suits me just fine.

They do also offer a subscription option for 400 USD/year.

If you want to purchase the software, the cheapest option (for a freelancer) is 900 USD and can be installed on one machine, or 1400 USD if you want an extra activation (i.e. one for your desktop computer, one for your laptop).

However, they found a way to make it a win for them in any case. When you want to upgrade your software, if you are upgrading from the previous version, the price is $380, if you are upgrading from the second-previous version, the price is $760. If you have an even older version, you can't upgrade but have to purchase the license from scratch.

The second software I own is Microsoft Office for Mac, which I purchased at $35 through a reseller.

• I still use Photoshop CS6 for edits I can't do in Affinity. I have never wanted to upgrade to subscription model after Adobe's site was hacked, and I think it was in tech news, because I don't want my card details to fraudsters who get them off dubious sites

• Does GIMP still exist? It was the best free alternative to Photoshop back in the days. I never got past the learning curve of any image editing software, so I can't compare.

Yes, it does still exist, I've used it on Linux distros, but I find it very hard to use, and for me to use it. Like you said, you will have to go on a learning curve. I've got so much going on in my life to want to watch endless hours of YouTube videos just to try a new software, Affinity is more or less a straightforward software that's more like photoshop, but got to admit there are differences

In reality, I'm glad Canva got Affinity, because I would guarantee that Adobe would have turned this software into a subscription model or completely destroyed Affinity