Milei’s first 100 days

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 393 times. The latest Post () was by Bombonera.

• When reading this, I felt I’d read it before yet the date is March 24. I’d like to know what you all think of this. (No paywall)

I think there's a lot of truth in the quote below. However as long as he doesn't get carried away and is kept in check he should be alright. Early days yet so give the bloke a chance I say. The alternatives don't exactly inspire confidence.

It is an open question whether Mr. Milei has misread his voters on how far they, too, are willing to go to turn Argentina’s economy around. Mr. Milei may be testing the limits of Argentina’s on-and-off-again democracy to fulfill his dream of transforming it from a soft, populist, welfare- and social-rights-driven nation into a libertarian utopia where the fittest can realize their full potential unshackled from the weight of sharing their bounty Even if Mr. Milei’s policies do eventually tame the price of basic goods, Argentines may not embrace being denied public health policies that generations have enjoyed — or having their elected leader threaten to shut down the legislature.

• When reading this, I felt I’d read it before yet the date is March 24. I’d like to know what you all think of this. (No paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0…EyBWJcN5bU&smid=url-share

Yet another skewed viewpoint from Uki Goni who simply cannot accept the shock of Milei having won. More about him here.

"So far, he has failed..." 100 days is enough to turn the ship around? Oh please.

"Inflation doubled during his first month in office..." During his first month in office, the effects of the previous government were still in force, dummy. Massa's cash for votes bribery was well in evidence.

Mr Goni doesn't even mention the drop in inflation figures for February. Of course he doesn't.

"Tens of thousands now march the streets..." This is where the real meat of Mr Goni's argument fails. What he conveniently forgets to mention is the modus operandi of why and how these people march around 9 de Julio - forced to by their corrupt masters with most of them being drip fed and brainwashed with the same old populist propaganda that has supported them for decades - the massive, out of control, state funded teat. The interests of the intermediaries and thugs that control said funds are being threatened, doesn't even get a mention from Goni, because frankly, it's an inconvenient truth.

"Argentina is not the unmitigated economic disaster that Mr Milei makes it out to be..." What planet does Goni live on? He is described as an Argentine author, has been living in Buenos Aires since 1975 and cannot seem to face up to the fact that successive Peronist regimes have plunged this country into an economic abyss (Macri wasn't much better, tbh).

It is an economic disaster, Mr Goni, but I don't expect you to face up to that sad fact.

If he fails, he will be remembered not as the libertarian genius that Mr. Trump and Mr. Musk make him out to be, but as just another in a long line of South American would-be caudillos who failed to deliver on their promises — and made life miserable for millions along the way.

He very liberally sprinkles Musk and Trump all over this article simply as triggers for those who would prefer to see Milei as the Son of Trump or even Trump's evil twin.

According Goni's X account, I can see that he has plastered it with images and videos of yesterday's Memory marches and labelled Milei and Villaruel as 'negationists'.

Who's the negationist now, Mr Goni?

• Still got a chip on his shoulder after getting abused at his Irish boarding school.

I love this phrase at the end of the article.

Argentina is, after all, not the unmitigated economic disaster Mr. Milei and like-minded critics make it out to be. It has a diversified industrial base and is a major agricultural exporter.

Uncontrolled hiperinflation doesnt seem to be an unmitigated disaster.....

Diversified industrial base - I would love him to explain this. Does he mean assembling TV sets in Tierra del Fuego - when actually many people think the whole Tierra del Fuego assembly system as corrupt.

Yes , Argentina is a major agricultural exporter but that is in spite of the Kirchnerista policies that weekened the whole sector.

• On Sunday, our electrician made a comment that spoke to me.

He is actually an electrical engineer like me, from Venezuela, and an enthusiast of smart devices, tech stuff like any good engineer! He lived in Peru for 3 years before coming to Argentina, and he was doing smart homes in Peru.

He came here with the idea of setting his smart home business, but quickly realized that he had to change his plans because -- he said -- smart/tech components are so expensive here, and the selection so limited, that very few people can afford/are willing to use them.

Now he's traveling to Peru to combine a leisure visit with some component shopping. Next smart device will be a smart switch / home smart controller for our STR, picked by him and installed by him.

Whenever I hear a Venezuelan commenting on Argentina, I am all ears. And Argentina doesn't seem that much better than Venezuela on some aspects.

• During Sunday’s annual day of remembrance for the victims of Argentina’s dictatorship, was there any mention of Milei’s denial of the murders?

While I applaud Milei’s dedication to reversing Argentina’s economic situation, I cringe at the thought of his dismissal of the horrors of the dictatorship years.

• This was written on the Facebook page of The Herald in a post where they praise 'objective journalism'.

Unfortunately you have a President who will bring Argentina to her knees.

He is a laughing stock worldwide. He is capable of doing anything and everything to ensure he becomes the emperor. So much for democracy and the Constitution.

He is a psychopath who is drunk with power and I worry for the people of Argentina ... the pensioners, the starving, those without jobs, those being intimidated and threatened by police and not forgetting the children he cares nothing about. The U.S. has been trying to get into Argentina for decades and it is Milei who is more than interested in selling everything to them

Word has it that he is so busy sending hundreds of tweets on "X" every day that his sister is the one really running the country .... yet she was never elected in any political capacity.

If he is in office for much longer, Argentina will cease to exist.

• During Sunday’s annual day of remembrance for the victims of Argentina’s dictatorship, was there any mention of Milei’s denial of the murders?

While I applaud Milei’s dedication to reversing Argentina’s economic situation, I cringe at the thought of his dismissal of the horrors of the dictatorship years.

To be clear, he doesn't deny the murders. But the official commission that counted the victims, which was instituted under the Ks, and who counted the victims twice, came to numbers just under 9000 victims, not 30k.

Lejos de los 30.000, la Conadep registró 8961 víctimas

Tras la recuperación de la democracia, el informe de la comisión que encabezó Ernesto Sabato computó ese número de desaparecidos y los registros de 2006 y 2015, en períodos kirchneristas, contabilizaron 8361 y 8631, respectivamente

Milei is not denying the murders, he is contesting the inflated numbers.

• To be clear, he doesn't deny the murders. But the official commission that counted the victims, which was instituted under the Ks, and who counted the victims twice, came to numbers just under 9000 victims, not 30k.

Milei is not denying the murders, he is contesting the inflated numbers.

The K's weren't very good at giving out accurate numbers. ^^

• Source:

El testimonio de un exmontonero sobre los desaparecidos: “Inventamos la cifra, fui yo el que dijo 30.000”
    El exmilitante Luis Labraña se adjudicó la autoría del número difundido oficialmente y sostuvo que “la mentira era necesaria” para conseguir dinero para las…
    www.lanacion.com.ar

• I believe I read a quote from a pre-election speech in which he referred to the time of the bloody military dictatorship as a time of two terrorist groups fighting it out, rather than a time with the military using the force of government to kill Argentine citizens. I certainly hope my memory is faulty.

As for the numbers, for the sake of the families who had family members dragged from home and imprisoned/“disappeared,” if anyone really can accurately diminish the number of deaths by more than 2/3, they really need to present evidence.

• These commentary pieces are getting so pretentious.

Not once did this writer mention the hideous state corruption of the previous administrations, the lying, the massaging of figures (INDEC) and the total disregard for a free economy.

It's all very well writing a screaming headline which stinks of clickbait, but the writer should surely come down here to get a real taste, not to mention some proper research.

I like this line:

“Milei rejects nearly everything ‘MAGA’ populists in the United States, and analogue movements across the developed world, claim to stand for.”