Milei to open Congress tonight and promises some surprises!

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 169 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• President Milei is opening Congress tonight, is due to speak at 9pm and he has hinted that there will be some surprises. (no surprise there!)

It's unusual for a president to open the sessions at this time of day and especially on a Friday night when they all want to go home. Many speculate that he's only doing it to piss off the MPs and let's not forget that he recently called them a nest of rats.

Security will be on high alert since all the usual suspects will be outside protesting against Milei's recent changes in social security.

I think we will probably tune in because he's very watchable.

• He started off by outlining the mess he had inherited with accurate information, something Macri should have done, then told us what he intends to do about it and finally offered an olive branch to those governors and lawmakers who had rejected his Omnibus bill.

He also reiterated his party's lack of majority in parliament, the fact that he's not a politician and that he acts from conviction, not political ends - an important point.

He also named those who he believes have dragged this country into the gutter - Cristina Kirchner, Grabois, Massa and Moyano. Many people gasped when he named them and it's clear that he intends to follow through on his promise to see his anti corruption crusade to the very end.

One gets the impression that his stance is that he has nothing to lose, yet his popularity is still at around 55%.

He pulled no punches in a speech that will be remembered for containing no bullshit and party political dogma whatsoever.

Those who have been languishing in the luxury of the state serving them for decades will be rushing around to shore up their ill-gotten benefits before they all disappear.

He's dismantling the nuts and bolts of a system designed only to benefit public employees - MPs and the rest - and exposing the true state of the machine that governs.

Politicians don't like to see the truth exposed.

The BA Herald has a story here:

Congress opening speech: Milei promises to criminalize monetary emission and strip collective bargaining power - Buenos Aires Herald
    In an apparent olive branch after recent disputes, the president also invited governors and lawmakers to sign a 10-point ‘May 25th pact’
    buenosairesherald.com

The BA Times here:

President Javier Milei delivers aggressive yet gloomy state-of-the-nation speech, calls on his allies and enemies to sign up to his 10-point ‘Pacto de Mayo’ –…
    www.batimes.com.ar

• For a guy who is not an experienced politician , it was a statesman like speech.

Summed up the situation he inherited , criticised those that caused the mess and attempted to build bridges with some of the opposition governers.

Lets see how the next few days go....

• His speech sounds impressive and straightforward. Did the television cameras and audio show how well it was received by Congress?

I was very surprised how well the support and the cheers from the Milei supporters was conveyed. I didn't hear any boos from the opposition and only laughed when they panned in on a very anxious Kiciloff.

• I was very surprised how well the support and the cheers from the Milei supporters was conveyed. I didn't hear any boos from the opposition and only laughed when they panned in on a very anxious Kiciloff.

Indeed...apart from Kiciloff's obvious 'I don't want to be here' expression it was all very well received. :thumbup: