Beef may be expensive, but the chicken's pretty good!

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 246 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• We eat chicken at least once a week usually twice. I've no idea how the price compares to beef which we eat maybe twice a week in different forms....fillet steak or homemade beefburgers. Must say I much prefer chicken milanese to beef milanese. The missus won't touch chicken in any type of sauce though whch is a pain in the arse.

• Can anyone explain to me the national craving for Milanesas of any type? To me, they are tough, greasy slabs of what probably was decent meat before pounded to a pulp and fried into a dripping leather frisbee.

• Can anyone explain to me the national craving for Milanesas of any type? To me, they are tough, greasy slabs of what probably was decent meat before pounded to a pulp and fried into a dripping leather frisbee.

My missus won't eat them for the reasons you give unless they're made at home. We cook ours in the oven not fried in fat. The few beef ones I've eaten out anywhere were tough as old boots. Yet people here love them.

• Milanesa is done using breast chicken, cut as thin as you want. I personally liked mine juicy, so it was about 50 mm thick. You can make it thinner by pounding it. The secret to a great milanesa is to do a double coating (salted egg-breadcrumbs-salted egg-breadcrumbs).

In Argentina, some mix spices with the breadcrumbs (like garlic powder, dried parsley etc.).

Some mix the spices in the beaten egg, though!

Some people like to do egg-flour-egg-breadcrumbs so that the crust has a slimy inner coating.

My grandmother did the latter, fried in butter, and then put in the oven to "dry" and keep hot. The result was more of a wiener schnitzel.

• OK, I’m ready to try oven-baked, home made milanesas. Change my mind, GlasgowJohn and UK Man , by giving instructions, starting with what cut of chicken (breast? thigh? either?), how thin to pound, etc.

I’ll make milanesas with an open mind.

My missus now buys them ready made from a butcher friend. She used to make them herself from breast only meat. You need a very sharp knife and steady hand....and don't be mean, cut them quite thick. She doesn't knock the hell out of the chicken ones, just dips them in egg then tosses them in the breadcrumbs.

Cover the bottom of the oven pan in EV Olive Oil heat it up to 200c then sling them in the oven turning them over now and again to check you don't burn their bottoms. You can add chopped parsley/mashed garlic to the breadcrumb mix if you want. She desn't bother.

We do homemade ones at least once a week. Done in the oven - not freid

We occasionally splash out and get the Milanesas made by the Petersen brothers. Bloody expensive but bloody good

What makes theirs expensive GJ? Better quality beef?

• serafina , you do the 2nd egg-breadcrumb dip immediately after the first?

I’m definitely going to try homemade milanesas in 3 wks and will report back. (We’re in high Mardi Gras season now, so the most time-consuming thing that gets “cooked” around here now is a ham sandwich!)

Thank you both for the directions.

• My missus now buys them ready made from a butcher friend. She used to make them herself from breast only meat. You need a very sharp knife and steady hand....and don't be mean, cut them quite thick. She doesn't knock the hell out of the chicken ones, just dips them in egg then tosses them in the breadcrumbs.

Cover the bottom of the oven pan in EV Olive Oil heat it up to 200c then sling them in the oven turning them over now and again to check you don't burn their bottoms. You can add chopped parsley/mashed garlic to the breadcrumb mix if you want. She desn't bother.

What makes theirs expensive GJ? Better quality beef?

You are paying for the name partly but the quality is actually very god.

they have three types

Chicken , Peceto and Bife

Meet quality is always excellent