Are you smart? Smart technologies

There are 43 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,022 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• TravelAddict , thank you for your suggestion. Today I have run more tests.

First, I have checked the same IR smart controller in a different room with a different A/C (different brand - YORK - and model), and it worked perfectly. I created a timed scene and the IR smart controller was able to turn it on and off as set up. I tested this several times and at different temperatures (as in " turn on and set on 24°C). I wasn't able to create a scene with a duration, though (i.e. run for 5 mins, then shut off). I created a scene to turn on at a certain time and turn off at a different time.

I have also configured the second IR smart controller with the FEDDERS A/C in my office/solarium and the issue remains. This suggests that the issue is with the pre-configuration for Fedders A/C and not with the devices or my scene settings.

While fiddling with the scenes, I found out that the scene is working if the THEN action is to shut off the A/C, but it doesn't work if I choose to turn it on.

• have also configured the second IR smart controller with the FEDDERS A/C in my office/solarium and the issue remains. This suggests that the issue is with the pre-configuration for Fedders A/C and not with the devices or my scene settings.

Good you have proven the IR on one AC along with full temperature sensor driven automation. So for the FEdders AC you might need to find the advanced code setup. I do not know the wording they use, but I know for universal TV remotes there is a "quick" way and a second way of the other way does not work. I imagine at this point you probably already know this, and just need to take the steps to accomplish.

• Apologies I cant find my suggestion? What did I type?

• Later I can reply to your other question about your STR apartment issues.

This is the kind of notification I am getting from the STR A/C smart switches.

The names a were chosen by me and the criteria is to alert me whenever a device goes off or on. Our STR is currently vacant.

Furthermore, after spending a week in Mar del Plata, I am strongly suspecting that the network fluctuations are to blame because in my home in Palermo, my MacBook Air keeps rebooting (kernel panic) and my external HD keeps disconnecting, but none of this happened in Mar del Plata.

I thought my computer was having issues, but now I am thinking that the power supply is to blame.

I do have a stabilizer, but it is not enough. I have been using the same configuration (cables and sockets) for years, and I started having issues around October 2023.

• my MacBook Air keeps rebooting (kernel panic) and my external HD keeps disconnecting

When you say network fluctuations, do you mean power outage or unstable voltage, or do you mean Network WiFi issues? A kernel panic because of power outage on a MacBook seems unlikely since there is a battery in your MB, unless the battery is completely dead. Perhaps the abrupt eject of the external disk triggers something that results in the panic. It is a good idea to use disk utility to check and fix errors in the internal SSD, since that would be a cause of kernel panics. If your external HD is powered then you need to stop those ejects. A cheap battery backup UPS is the only way to stop a powered HD from having those issues.

This is the kind of notification I am getting from the STR A/C smart switches.

The names a were chosen by me and the criteria is to alert me whenever a device goes off or on. Our STR is currently vacant.

Why did you put smart switches on the AC? Was the reason to monitor power usage and turn-off remotely when tenants leave them running too long? If so, then those switches are still doing that required task, when also using the auto-on scene you setup. Seems you need the IR remote device just like in your other office. Plus a complicated scene which decides to send IR remote ON if it knew the AC had been running prior to smart switch reboot. You probably need a smarter (software) controller hub to handle that task.

• aficionado , I have created a new thread about my MacBook Air issues here.

When you say network fluctuations, do you mean power outage or unstable voltage, or do you mean Network WiFi issues?

I mean voltage/power flickering (surges/drops). I am getting ON/OFF notification even if the unit is vacant!

Why did you put smart switches on the AC? Was the reason to monitor power usage and turn-off remotely when tenants leave them running too long? If so, then those switches are still doing that required task, when also using the auto-on scene you setup. Seems you need the IR remote device just like in your other office. Plus a complicated scene which decides to send IR remote ON if it knew the AC had been running prior to smart switch reboot. You probably need a smarter (software) controller hub to handle that task.

I have put smart switches on our STR A/C to monitor usage. Based on my research and past experience, A/C is often abused by guests from North America. This is not only an unnecessary expense in terms of electricity usage, it also wears down the appliances. I have seen several AirBnb listings setting a cap on electricity usage included in the rental, and charging extra for each kWh used above that. Therefore, I wanted to check if guests were running AC 24/7 and to see if we should include an electricity cap in our listing. (that said, our app doesn't monitor usage in such detail. It simply shows how much energy was used on a given day, but it doesn't say how many hours each device was running - see screenshot below)

I was educating myself on US-based groups of STR owners and they all have these smart devices and swear they are essential to their business.

Furthermore, our building is so new that they haven't yet installed separate meters for each unit. Right now we are splitting the whole building electricity bill based on the square meters of each unit. Edenor comes from time to time to do some work on the temporary main connection, and according to the building company this had to be completed by Sept 2023.

I believe it may have to do with the fact that our building hasn't all of the paperwork sorted, yet. We have been called last week to sign the actual property deed, since so far we have a possession deed, only.

I am even more convinced that it is time to take the switches off the AC units. Even if I was to install the IR smart controller, I can't find a setting to tell it to turn on the AC to the previous setting prior to shut off. Perhaps a more complicate software like you mention would do the trick. But at this point, it is simpler to simply restore the A/C to being just A/C.

• After my husband managed to leave the whole building with no electricity while putting an extension cord on the wall, our smart switches died for good. He thought they had burnt the ACs since they weren't starting anymore. An emergency electrician visit this morning saved the day. He took off the smart controls and both were burnt, with their capacitors popped.

Now, it is unclear if their malfunctioning was due to the building's faulty electrical system (I think so, since we don't have separate meters installed, yet, so we are all connected and having BOTH malfunctioning and eventually dying can't be random) and if the smart switches saved the ACs.

Anyway, a few $$ later we had our AC back in the STR, an extension cord for the TV behind the TV itself, and all at the same cost of calling the electrician to remove the smart switches in the first place. My husband wasn't able to sleep well last night, though!

I did tease him all night, because even if he blamed me and my smart switches, I wasn't even there when he managed to leave the whole building with no electricity.

• That all sounds a bit dodgy to me. =O

My husband muffled words, besides a storm of insults at me, was that "he inverted two cables" and the whole building died.

:th_giggle01: :facepalm:

I wouldn't be able to leave a whole building with no electricity even if I wanted to. Perhaps he should add this skill on his CV!!

• Must admit I know bugger all about electricity especially here so the missus takes charge when anything goes wrong. She knows how things don't work here. She once frightened the life out of me when I started changing a light bulb without switching off the electriity at the mains. ''STOP she barked at me!! Do you want to get yourself killed.'' It's only a light bulb I said. This is an old house you don't knw what might happen she said.

So from then on I let her get on with it.

• My fondness for your wife is growing day by day. And to say that I have never met her, not even "on screen!".

I agree with her. I refuse to do electrical works here. I don't even trust main switches, in Argentina!

And what happened yesterday just proves me right!

• My fondness for your wife is growing day by day. And to say that I have never met her, not even "on screen!".

I agree with her. I refuse to do electrical works here. I don't even trust main switches, in Argentina!

And what happened yesterday just proves me right!

Indeed. We know a good electrician so give him a call when even the missus doesn't want to take any chances.

• Must admit I know bugger all about electricity especially here so the missus takes charge when anything goes wrong. She knows how things don't work here. She once frightened the life out of me when I started changing a light bulb without switching off the electriity at the mains. ''STOP she barked at me!! Do you want to get yourself killed.'' It's only a light bulb I said. This is an old house you don't knw what might happen she said.

So from then on I let her get on with it.

I never turn off the power at the box just to change a lightbulb and never have.

• UK Man , a question: is there anything at all that you don’t turn over to your wife?

Cooking, tea and coffee making, grasscutting, carrying shopping, washing the car, the feeding of 14 dogs and the tortoise, washng the floors. I could go on and on.

I wish I didn't have to hand over my monthly pension to her but as she's the boss I just do as I'm told. :D

• Except for the grass cutting and car washing, sounds like a complete role reversal from the 1950’s, when the Little Woman was expected to put meals on the table, scrub the floors, and leave the driving, the decisions, and the family finances to the Man of the House.

Mrs UK Man had better watch out - - - this led to the sexual revolution of the 1970’s and the Women’s Liberation movement!