Expats in Pinamar? Best beach town?

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,951 times. The latest Post () was by GlasgowJohn.

• Hi. I will be visiting Argentina.

Is Pinamar a good place to visit? I'm also interested in renting/buying a house near the beach. Does anyone know of any good expats who know real estate in Argentina along the Atlantic coast? A good buy in a good area.

Thanks,

Scott

• Welcome to the site Scott.

The Atlantic Coast is very attractive. Pinamar is a nice town but our favorite is Carilo just a few miles away.

Would it be a long-term rental or a short term?

December, January, and February are very expensive as they are high-season months - many property owners will make their annual rental target during these three months.

We had a poster who lived close by but I cannot recall her name- any ideas guys?

• Thanks. Ive heard some comcerns about Argentina and safery. Is it ok right now in your opinion to travel to Buenos Aires and the Atlantic coast?

I have never heard of any security problems on the coast. But usual rules apply , don't flash your Rolex and wads of $100 bills at the natives.

Having said that professional thieves and pickpockets know that people let their guard down , when on vacation and I am sure they will visit the coast on working holidays from time to time.

But the risks will be similar to being on vacation in any of the Florida resorts.

• Hi. I will be visiting Argentina.

Is Pinamar a good place to visit? I'm also interested in renting/buying a house near the beach. Does anyone know of any good expats who know real estate in Argentina along the Atlantic coast? A good buy in a good area.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott and welcome!

You could try Argenprop, a site that we have been using to look for houses. It's like an aggregator of numerous agents.

Venta y alquiler de propiedades: departamentos, casas, terrenos, oficinas y más - Argenprop
    Encontrá propiedades e inmuebles en venta y alquiler, casas, departamentos, terrenos, locales, oficinas, quintas, PH, cocheras y más en Argenprop.
    www.argenprop.com

• Chicagoan , this thread is from a few months ago , you might want to read it.

• Provided that I have never spent a whole vacation on that part of the coast, these are small towns that are lively (and crowded) only during the summer months. Not sure if you just want a vacation home for the summer or the opposite. Winter on the coast is pretty cold and windy. The sun is hot in summer, but since it is windy, you won't need A/C. I get easily burnt at the beach (anywhere in the world, to be honest), but the nice breeze gives you the illusion that it is not that hot.

Cariló is the poshest and more developed, it is also an actual development for the riches. Other locations (like Villa Gesel) are traditionally destination for the working class and ugly, with tall buildings etc.

You need to have a car and I don't think there are rentals. You'd probably have to rent one in Buenos Aires or Mar del Plata and drive there. Also, long term car rental is not a thing here, but it is something you could consider investigating if you just plan to spend limited time on the Coast.

Personally, I have always spent my time in Mar del Plata because my husband's family has an apartment there. It is either 5:30 hr by car or 50' by plane from Buenos Aires. I love flying to Mar del and I can't stand the long drive.

• HI -- Another question.

If an American wants to buy property, what is the best way to get the most out of the USD? I've heard many things. Ideally, it would seem to be taking US dollars and then converting them into Argentine Pesos in Argentina to pay for the property.

Can this work? What's the best way? Thanks.

• HI -- Another question.

If an American wants to buy property, what is the best way to get the most out of the USD? I've heard many things. Ideally, it would seem to be taking US dollars and then converting them into Argentine Pesos in Argentina to pay for the property.

Can this work? What's the best way? Thanks.

Everyone I know pays for property in US dollars. We did, twice.

Besides, house are sold in USD anyway.

• If you are interested in a house or property on the Atlantic coast, Chicagoan , you might want to go a bit beyond Cariló, to Costa Esmeralda, which isn’t as developed or crowded as MDP, Pinamar, or Cariló (Or wasn’t, our last time there, in 2018 or 2019).

This photo shows how wide the beach is there.

Costa Esmeralda – Costa Esmeralda es un lugar ideal para ello, donde la playa, el mar y el bosque se conjugan para ofrecer un entorno natural inigualable.

• Don’t hold back, UK Man .

Is your rejection because of the one photo of a section of beach with too many sun worshipers, during tourist season?

Or did you take a few seconds to see the photos in the Naturaleza section, and they also failed to live up to your standards?

You could be right: it may now be horrible. I really don’t know. When we were last there, 4-5 years ago, it was an essentially unpopulated area with no tourist traps/attractions, very few buildings, only one beach restaurant, and vast areas of low sand dunes adjacent to one of the widest, most deserted, most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen.

In sharp contrast to Punta del Este, Mar del Plata, Pinamar, and even Cariló, it seemed to me an undeveloped oasis of natural beauty, unusual on the ocean front.

• Don’t hold back, UK Man .

Is your rejection because of the one photo of a section of beach with too many sun worshipers, during tourist season?

You're right. I probably unfairly judged it on that picture alone which doesn't exactly excite me into going to see it.

Being Scottish I'm used to spending my leisure time on beaches like this which can be found all over the country.

ezgif-com-webp-to-jpg.jpg