Sport classes in Argentina

There are 2 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by serafina.

• Most male Italians visiting Argentina are surprised that football is not always appreciated as in Italy.

I was told that football was usually played by Italian immigrants (I.e. Poor an uneducated), so it bears a lower class connotation.

Higher classes play polo, rugby, tennis and hockey, which I gather are all English sports (I am not sure about hockey, to be honest), hence they denote belonging to a higher class.

Being myself completely ignorant about sports, I would appreciate if someone could please expand the subject a little more.

For example, is pato upper class as polo? What about volleyball and basketball? Archery?

Any other sport I am missing? I see a lot of people playing a sport at the beach. I have no idea how it is called in English or Spanish, so please forgive me for the long description. The players draw a field on the beach. Each player has a set of wooden (or plastic) discs. They throw a special disc (I believe it is red and smaller) and start throwing their discs in turn. I suppose the winner is who has the higher number of discs close to the special one.

• Have never seen the beach game you describe, serafina , so can't help with that -- or with most any discussion of sports in any country! I would, however, love to see a pato match, now that live ducks are no longer used. Has anyone on the forum seen pato being played?

Because of the financial requirements of polo, I think it would be hard for any other sport to have the same snob appeal. Or do pato players maintain a string of pato ponies?!

• Have never seen the beach game you describe, serafina , so can't help with that -- or with most any discussion of sports in any country! I would, however, love to see a pato match, now that live ducks are no longer used. Has anyone on the forum seen pato being played?

Today I did a little research from my computer and I found out it is called tejo. It also looks like there is another kind of tejo (from Colombia and much older, dates back to indigenous people), and this one I am referring to is pretty recent and typical of Mar del Plata.

http://www.telam.com.ar/notas/…stan-en-mar-del-plata.php

52e6b9aa89656_645x429.jpg$_20.jpg