Buying a used motorcycle

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,460 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• It's not a simple business buying a used bike (or car for that matter) and there are numerous factors to take into account, one of the most important being where the bike is registered.

I've looked at five or six bikes already - two at the dealer around the corner and a few private sales. If it's registered in BA province, the transfer is cheaper than the Capital which can be more than double the cost. Then you have the issue of the bike being in Pilar for instance, but registered in Capital.

Another is humans. or should I say Argentines. One that I liked (2021, 7000km) is owned by someone who lives in Olivos, so I arranged to meet him and the bike on Sunday at 11.00 am. At 10.30 he changed the time to 11.45, so I arrived at 11.40 because I'm always punctual. He sent a message at 11.44 saying that he was just leaving his house and so he turned up at 12.20.

I looked at the bike, I liked it we chatted and I offered him US$200 less than he was asking which is pretty standard practice, at which he said he would have to think about it. He would have to think about two hundred dollars, seriously?

He said he'd get back to me today. he didn't, so I messaged him at 11.00 asking if he'd had time to think. He said he'd get back to me at midday, which he hasn't as yet.

During this time I've been back to the dealer and resurrected an offer I made on one that I liked, US$100 less than the asking price.

I'll keep ya'll posted...

• It is a struggle to deal with Argentinians. Unfortunately, living here we have to do so!

But the waste of time is so big that I can't get used to it, no matter how long I have been living here.

There is very little respect of other people's time. Nowadays, I no longer hold my tongue back. In a situation like yours, I would have texted back that I was already at the meeting place since we were expecting to meet in 5 minutes. However, I am well aware that such a remark is considered aggressive and would scare the Argentinian away.

They are childish and can't face their own flaws and shortness.

• It is a struggle to deal with Argentinians. Unfortunately, living here we have to do so!

But the waste of time is so big that I can't get used to it, no matter how long I have been living here.

There is very little respect of other people's time. Nowadays, I no longer hold my tongue back. In a situation like yours, I would have texted back that I was already at the meeting place since we were expecting to meet in 5 minutes. However, I am well aware that such a remark is considered aggressive and would scare the Argentinian away.

They are childish and can't face their own flaws and shortness.

He didn't even bother to honour his 'after lunch he would get back to me' statement, the other one in Bella Vista wasn't in great condition (CABA registered) and another was in Pilar, again CABA registered and the seller seemed a little vague.

So, Olivos man has lost out because I just put down a deposit on this one at the RE dealer up the road. In fact it was the first I looked at and always had a good feeling about it.

Tomorrow we begin the paperwork which I hope I can do without delay.

:301:

• That is really nice looking, and I’m glad you didn’t have to deal with the rude nitwit.

I would say, though, in defense of all the Argentine people who are honorable, punctual, generous and kind, that without our rose-colored glasses, we can all remember people in our own home countries who were not exactly stellar folks to do business with….

• That is really nice looking, and I’m glad you didn’t have to deal with the rude nitwit.

I would say, though, in defense of all the Argentine people who are honorable, punctual, generous and kind, that without our rose-colored glasses, we can all remember people in our own home countries who were not exactly stellar folks to do business with….

My father bought scores of used bikes and cars when I was younger and the second-hand vehicle market in the UK was/is incredibly efficient. People expect a certain level of smoothness either as a seller or a buyer. You always get those who are different, but the ratio towards generally poor punctuality and basic respect skews higher in Argentina, I find. In terms of why sellers are so shoddy in the second hand market, I cannot put my finger on the reason. The second-hand market in Argentina is booming and has much value, but the quality of service around it is poor at best. At least with direct sales.

• The normal practice is to say 7.30 for 8, which means any time between. However, if you say that to an Argentine they interpret it as any time after eight, which could be 1030.

Anyway, back to the bike...

I've now paid for it in full at the dealer, the salesman set up the legal transfer procedure, all the necessary documents and I have an appointment to get it signed over to me next Tuesday.

It's quite remarkable the amount of paperwork that's required, but is helped by being able to carry out most of it online. It's a real faff but has to be done.

• My hunch is that most people here are more animal-like in terms of planning. They buy food when they are hungry, but they don't stock up and cook. When they are hungry, they simply look for the quickest and cheapest solution, i.e. call a food delivery service.

I think that the first seller may have published his bike for sale when he was short on cash, but the day of your meeting he was not, so he went there rather reluctantly, or for sport, just to check if he was going to accidentally pass on a too good a deal.

Also selling on ML you surely have noticed that many people simply ask questions to bugger sellers, regardless of the fact that a timely reply or no reply would negatively impact a seller reputation. I.e. for every time they ask "is it still available" you have to reply as soon as possible or your seller's reputation will be at stake (ML gives you a certain timeframe to reply, after it lapses you are no longer replying soon enough to keep the prospects' attention high etc.)

They often asks unrealistic questions given the price.

• What a day!

First I zoomed up to Escobar/Maschwitz on Ruta 9 at 0930 to complete the paperwork (tramite) for buying my new motorcycle which surprisingly went very smoothly and I was in and out in less than an hour. The reason I went there is because the bike is registered in that town and the secret is to declare a value as low as the system will allow and never to show them documents they don't ask for.

I then raced back to the bike showroom which is when it went pear shaped - I was expecting to grab the bike and ride off into the sunset. Although I had the cedular/carnet from the old owner, I would have to book an appointment in Vicente Lopez vehicle registry to get the new cedular/carnet and title to the bike which takes two weeks, although the title may be sent by email, apparently.

The salesman said I could take the bike, which was good news, but not until tomorrow because I hadn't booked a 'turno' to take it away. I told him that he had never mentioned this, so 'give me my fucking bike', or words to that effect, but much more politely of course.

A lot of blah blah followed, he felt indignant that I was disappointed, nay, sad even. I said, well that's too bad because I was hyped to take the bike that very moment and around we went until we agreed that I would ride away tomorrow morning on my new purchase, which incidentally I paid them hard cash for, over a week ago.

After all that palaver, I went home for a much needed cup of restorative tea.

.............story continues because there's lots more, believe me.

• In 1950’s movies, men used to call their cars “she.” To gas station attendants: “Fill ‘er up.”

Also “She purrs like a tiger.” And “I’m going to put new tires on her,” and “She needs an oil change.”