HM Queen Elizabeth II

There are 82 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,226 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Sad news. I'll be very surprised if Charlie takes the job on for long though.

I would say a max 20 years reign

Charles III said sometime ago, that he will not express any opinions of politics when he is King

Shocked that the Queen has died, thought she would last another 2-3 years. But she'd has a good long life. Not jealous one bit

• I know that Charles III is not very popular, but he was concerned with many important things and in my point of view he was right.

He criticized the catastrophical changes in Architecture that destroyed many parts of England, especially the outkirst of London in the 1950-1980, the fashion of the New Brutalism. This movement was fueled by Alison & Peter Smithson in the1950-s. Later became a fashion, making popular the brutal surfaces of reinforced concrete and the abuse of metal and square shapes, with no reference to the beautiful traditional architecture of the English countryside and small towns. He got the help of a Luxemburgian architect, Rob Krier, who designed a very nice town, called Poundsbury in the Duchy of Cornwall (Prince Charles had that title). The town resulted a success, and many people built their homes there following some traditional norms.

I suffered the imposed admiration for the Brutalism as I was a student of architecture in the 1960's, and in a certain way I was never convinced ot that architecture, however I gave up and made many brutalist designs.

A proof of this is the Robin Hood dwellings, built in the 1970 and demolished in 2015, because of its unbearable ugliness.

To those who ae interested in these matters, I recommend to see the video made bu Sir Roger Scruto, whose name is "Why beauty matters" in You tube.

Perhaps because I am always on the side of the unpopular ones, I like King Charles III. And I hope that he will reign with proper dignity and intelligence, as his mother did.

19c9bf107e347b12f52ed53123920b35.jpg

Why beauty matters, by Sir Roger Scruton

• Been impressed with the coverage shown here about the Queens death. Big headline news reported in a very respectful way. :thumbup:

Was interesting to hear from a London based Argentine journalist. When asked if life goes on as normal she replied ''yes it is''. A wee dig at the farcical reaction shown to the CFK 'assassination' attempt maybe?

• UK man wrote:

Been impressed with the coverage shown here about the Queens death. Big headline news reported in a very respectful way. :thumbup:

I would add that we argentines are whatever you want, but will never be unrespectful with the most respectable Queen in both centuries, XX and XXI.

Especially with those who passed away.

• For those of us in the New World, to put into perspective the length of the Queen’s reign, it was approximately 1/3 of the United States’ existence.

Never knew that. :thumbup:

Been nice to see William and Harry interacting with the crowd. A crowd of mostly young uns. :thumbup:

• I've got to agree with Charles there that some of the new architecture look really terrible, they make the landscape of any city look terrible

• Never knew that. :thumbup:

Been nice to see William and Harry interacting with the crowd. A crowd of mostly young uns. :thumbup:

...and to see William and Harry interacting with each other. Sibling relationships are not always easy (DAMHIKT) but I believe differences between William and Harry have been blown out of proportion by the news media in their interest of higher sales.