Is this a scam?

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 291 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Following my motorcycle crash a few weeks ago, I didn't make a claim with my insurance company but did exchange details with the other driver.

Long story short, I had the bike repaired and told the other party about it thinking that would be it.

A couple of days ago I was called by a bloke claiming to be with a legal firm that settles claims on behalf of La Caja, the insurance company for the other party. He said they wanted to pay my out of pocket expenses which sounded very nice, so I said In would dig out the invoices. He then said he would phone back the next day.

I only had one invoice for the spare parts because the mechanic who did the work only deals in cash.

When he phoned back he told me that his superintendent said that they would pay me the full amount with or without invoices which sounded like very good news.

All he now wants is copies my DNI, bike cedula, photos of the bike, email address and bank details (CBU).

I sent him my email address by WhatsApp and he emailed me stating what was required (as above). The subject line showed the claim number but his email address was a personal Yahoo account, which rang alarm bells, thinking this may be a scam just to get my personal information and bank account number.

I then contacted the other party explaining my concern and he is going to try and verify the man. There's also a branch of La Caja down the road, so I'm going there to verify as well.

I may be paranoid but it's true to say that scams are viral at the moment and for them to pay me without any documentary evidence does sound odd.

I'll update this post as and when.

• I went to the local office of La Caja, verified the claim number, then phoned the legal department who confirmed his identity.

I just think that it's best to be safe rather than sorry because Adri told me about a friend who sold something on Facebook for $10,000, then gave her account number to the buyer who sent her a receipt showing that he had 'accidentally' sent $100,000 and could she please return the $90,000. In actual fact, he had only sent her $1.

When someone gets hold of your bank account number, it's surprising what can happen.