The ways of Argentinians

There are 36 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,170 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• If it is a new car, doesn't it have a dash-cam that can be left in sentry mode when the car is parked and the alarms are armed? If it doesn't have a dash-cam, front-and-back systems which can be fitted yourself have become very affordable.

I am considering this and I have put my husband on the job. Today they scratched the driver's window. Why do they do it?! I understand the accidental door clashing against our, but scratching the car?!

• It sounds like retribution for your reporting their vandalism. Awful. Safer on the street?

At least we can save 12.400 pesos for repairing... If only there were parking spots in the area! Sometimes we have to park 5 or more blocks away! One Saturday night it was so crowded that my husband had to park over 1 km away. He took the bus to come home :wt-hell:

• At least we can save 12.400 pesos for repairing... If only there were parking spots in the area! Sometimes we have to park 5 or more blocks away! One Saturday night it was so crowded that my husband had to park over 1 km away. He took the bus to come home :wt-hell:

How often does your husband use the car serafina? Seems a heck of a lot of hassle nevermind expense.

• Somethings make my left eye twitch and send me back into my older mindset where I say move your car to the street and smash their car up before you leave. If he knows where you live smash him up too when he comes around.

That is the kind of blind rage Argentina brings out sometimes, turning me into some kind of animal.

Of course, you are probably better off just moving your car and getting out of the situation altogether. If you think there is some course of action to be taken against the vandalism (I doubt it), pop a GoPro or something in there to catch them.

• Somethings make my left eye twitch and send me back into my older mindset where I say move your car to the street and smash their car up before you leave. If he knows where you live smash him up too when he comes around.

That is the kind of blind rage Argentina brings out sometimes, turning me into some kind of animal.

Of course, you are probably better off just moving your car and getting out of the situation altogether. If you think there is some course of action to be taken against the vandalism (I doubt it), pop a GoPro or something in there to catch them.

I was like that when that bitch at YPF refused to give me petrol. Incandescent.

• Apparently, the dog now barks when left alone, so we received this note from a neighbor:

Just a little follow up on this one. I didn't reply to the note, the dog returned with her owners and a week later, I crossed the note's neighbor on the sidewalk. I was trying to fake I didn't see her, however, she stopped me. "¿Te puedo molestar un momentito?", she asked.

She then added that she was the one of the note (I knew) and that it was "feo" to leave notes, so it seemed fair I should know it was her.

I told her the whole story, I omitted any comment on the aggressive remark to make it stop. I explained the dog was gone, and was old, and obviously we didn't know it barked. And obviously it barked when alone otherwise we would have noticed - duh - anyone?!

"...and thank you for the note, or we would have never know.", I added.

How the conversation went into my mind:

- "¿Te puedo molestar un momentito?"

-"¡Hola!"

- "I left you the note. The dog kept barking. I came upstairs and rang your bell but nobody replied, so I left a note."

- "If the barking was so loud that it was unbearable for you downstairs, do you think I would have been happily in my apartment with a dog barking? Or were you expecting for the dog to open the door itself and explain itself?"

• Let's not forget how emotional Argentines are and it doesn't take much to get them feeling either insulted or 'indignado'. Sometimes by lost in translation, but more often than not by their inherent insecurity in themselves.

• Yes, the conversation ended amicably as the issue was over and there is zero chance to change an Argentinian's mind, Rice.

Splinter, you are spot on. In fact, I remembered to update this thread after reading your post on the bike seller's reaction to your request to take the bike since you had paid for it and done all the paperwork and the appointment "tale" was totally senseless.

What are they doing between yesterday and this morning that would change your ability to drive away with the bike?

Today I just had a new "life lesson" by another neighbor. He wants to claim his Italian citizenship by blood. The first step is to get the ancestor's birth certificate from Italy. He didn't know the date of birth, nor the year. I spent two Saturday night scrolling through microfilms on Ancestry and Family Search. I found the family, but the books of the likely birth years of his ancestor (1882 and 1884) were not microfilmed because too damaged. I emailed to the Civil Registry in August. They didn't reply. I called them and they said to call back in October after the Elections.

I called last week and there was a recorded message saying they were closed for the celebration of the Saint of the town.

On Sunday my neighbor texts me that "He has found the birth certificate and the exact DOB is..." I asked him to send me a copy - I was interested in reading the record number, so that I could request the 4 copies he wanted (for him and his siblings).

So on Monday I called again the town in Italy, but it was already too late -- let's remember that public officer are open 8 AM to 12 PM, so when I say "I called the town" it means I woke up at 5 AM Argentinian Time to get a chance to speak with someone at the Civil Registry in Italy.

Since I got no copy, yesterday I texted him to please tell me the record number. The more details we provide to the Civil Registry, the more chance to be heard and receive the certificates. His reply: "I went to the town myself a few days ago and got the record".

I can only say... ma vaffanculo!