July 4th - US Independence Day with Welsh connections.

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 256 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• The Declaration of Independence is a 'statement' adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, which announced that the thirteen American colonies, then at war with Great Britain, regarded themselves as independent states and no longer a part of the British Empire.

According to the Welsh Society of Philadelphia, 16 of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence were of Welsh descent:

George Clymer, Stephen Hopkins, Robert Morris, William Floyd, Francis Hopkinson, John Morton, Button Gwinnett, Thomas Jefferson, John Penn, George Read, John Hewes, Francis Lewis, James Smith, Williams Hooper, Lewis Morris, and William Williams. This represents the largest ethnic group of signatories on the original document. Thomas Jeffersons' family originated from Snowdonia and were fluent Welsh speakers.

• Thank you, Carlos . And Splinter , you have certainly taught me something, regarding the strong involvement of Welshmen in the Declaration of Independence.

We are celebrating this Independence Day with family, with gratitude to our founders as well as with very real concerns about the future of Democracy in the US and in all democratic countries in the world. I wish I could say that we and all current generations were contributing to the future, as earlier generations contributed to us.