The Decline and Fall of the United States of America

There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 629 times. The latest Post () was by daniel.

• For those who are not immersed in US History and Current Events, in 1865 a Civil war was waged and lost by the states which tried to secede from the Union, a union held most sacred.

Following on the insurrectionist heels of the twice-impeached, disgraced 45th president of the United States, “Delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party today approved platform planks rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”; requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization; treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”; locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9; getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes; abolishing the Federal Reserve; rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment; returning Christianity to schools and government; ending all gun safety measures; abolishing the Department of Education; arming teachers; requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”; defending capital punishment; dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered; protecting Confederate monuments; ending gay marriage; withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization; and calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.” 

Source: Historian Heather Cox Richardson 

June 18, 2022

• Completely shocking this statement. But with due respect, the Gibbon quote about the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire does not apply to this event. Texas is only one state,even great among others. Secession will not be the outcome. Things will be adjusted, I hope.

• I don’t know how so many Americans can look the other way as the evidence is methodically, in televised hearings, by trump’s cabinet members, lawyers, administration, even family. (Three of the six hearings are over. Every single witness has been a Republican, making hollow any claim of a partisan “witch hunt.”)

It has become clear that the seditious mob who overran the US Capitol were there to do the bidding of the then-president, and that this coup attempt was organized by his inner circle. The question becomes whether the Justice Department will investigate, prosecute, and deliver Equal Justice Under the Law; or whether, fearing to complete trump’s division of the country, they will stop short of convicting and incarcerating him.

• And what has the USA gained since Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 election??????

Well, a few things leap immediately to mind, daniel :

We are no longer being delivered the 30,573 lies spread by the former president between 2017 and 2021 (That was, on average, 21 per day).

We have a president advocating for laws to improve the lives of the middle class instead of the 0.1%.

Our current president doesn’t kowtow to dictators and doesn’t insult our allies.

Our children and grandchildren no longer have a vulgarity-spewing, violence-advocating bully as their presidential model, and personal dignity and honor have been restored to the office of the presidency.

Our current president hasn’t followed his predecessor’s example of declaring, even before an election, “if I don’t win, that means the election is rigged.”

And President Biden has not conspired with his staff and militia thugs to overthrow the government of the United States.

I’m glad you brought that up.

• Thanks for reminding me.

Here’s another benefit of the Biden presidency, recently reported by ABC news: We no longer have a president who 58% of the American public feel should be criminally charged.  CRIMINALLY CHARGED!  Take a moment and let that sink in. It’s a low bar, but consider the times.

Nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe former President Donald Trump should be charged with a crime for his role in the incident, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds.

• We just watched the 4th (total 6) January 6 hearing, with Republican election officials from Arizona and Georgia, who had voted for trump, testifying about their phone calls from the former president, using mafia-like tactics to pressure them to throw the election for him. Much of their testimony was accompanied with audio recordings of the calls.

This was the most moving of all the very fact-based hearings. I am hoping that all but the willfully ignorant will process the words and evidence that all but those who do not want to know the truth will have seen for themselves this month.

I have thought of another benefit the American people have with President Biden: we no longer have a president who personally as well as through his henchmen, threatens his people with violence and prosecution.

I am so grateful to you, daniel , for raising this question. Otherwise, I might have taken for granted our humble, truth-telling, law abiding president. Because of your question, I am thinking of all he has restored to us. Thank you.