Charity Collectors knocking at the door.....scams?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 792 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• A few minutes ago the door bell rang. The missus via the intercom asked who it was....''collecting for the veterans of the Malvinas'' came the reply. She politely said she was on an important phone call and couldn't come to the door. She then uttered a lot of expletives!!

This happens quite regularly here for various 'charities'. The wife's reaction is always the same (politely telling them to F off) as she thinks it's all a scam.

• UK Man

Changed the title of the thread from “Charity Collectors knocking at the door or scams?” to “Charity Collectors knocking at the door.....scams?”.
  • A while back when we lived in the Capital we got a visit from the guys who drive the rubbish collection truck, asking for a Christmas donation.

I called his bluff - I said, I gave a bit of cash to a guy who passed by three days ago asking for the same. Was he bullshitting me or are you? Clearly startled, he said in a stutter, that must have been Pedro who is also collecting.

There was no other guy - they are all scammers...

• A while back when we lived in the Capital we got a visit from the guys who drive the rubbish collection truck, asking for a Christmas donation.

I called his bluff - I said, I gave a bit of cash to a guy who passed by three days ago asking for the same. Was he bullshitting me or are you? Clearly startled, he said in a stutter, that must have been Pedro who is also collecting.

There was no other guy - they are all scammers...

Bastards!! :thumbdown:

• The missus answered the house phone this morning. The male caller said ''hello it's your nephew...I've got a bad cold that's why I sound different''. The missus said ''I haven't got a nephew'' and put down the phone. Now it could have been genuine and he called the wrong number but we both agreed there was some sort of scam coming up next.

• My wife's godfather got a call a few months back, saying we have your son , if you don't gave us 5,000 dollars he's for the chop...

All a bit strange as the godfather and his boy were having a late-night drink together with their wives in his house.

• My wife's godfather got a call a few months back, saying we have your son , if you don't gave us 5,000 dollars he's for the chop...

All a bit strange as the godfather and his boy were having a late-night drink together with their wives in his house.

My MIL was sitting at her window when a woman stopped and asked her for the money she owed. The MIL has dementia which on some days can be worse so was confused. The woman said it's the money you have hidden. Thankfully she said I'll call my daughter and the woman buggered off.

She used to keep some money in her wardrobe for emergencies so the missus reckons it was instigated by someone she knows. Now my wife just gives her pocket money every week.

• We get them coming around regular, a couple of times a week. Usually it is a man or a man with his kid (different each time) asking for money because they have no food. It's tough to judge the legitimacy of it. Sometimes I give but other times I just don't answer.

A couple of weeks ago I seen a man and a woman digging through the bin at the end of my street. They found some remnants of still edible food and both their faces lit up. I gave them money because that was obviously people in need. Those people knocking the door, though, it is much harder to know.

I have also had the bonus schtick from the guys who collect appliances, old furniture, and trash for the government from outside people's houses. I was out with my dog one morning around 7am and they were collecting from the house next door. All three of them started nagging me for money, saying everyone gives them something. I told them the next time they are actually collecting from my house and not my neighbours I will slip them something. Cheeky f'ers.

• . All three of them started nagging me for money, saying everyone gives them something. I told them the next time they are actually collecting from my house and not my neighbours I will slip them something. Cheeky f'ers.

Thankfully I've never experienced that here. If I did I'd just say something to them in English.