There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 118 times. The last Post () by UK Man.

Costa Line - Eugenio 'C' from Genoa to Buenos Aires, October 1974.

• That’s such a long trip. When the ship made re-stocking stops, were passengers allowed to disembark? What do you remember most about the voyage?

The enormously loud and very moving ship's horn blowing as we pulled away, the dancing, chatting up the pretty DJ, the formal dinners with the captain, the beautiful weather, swimming, the King Neptune ceremony when crossing the equator, pretty girls and my father donning his full uniform whites and gold braid when arriving in Buenos Aires.

I'll dig out some photos.

• The enormously loud and very moving ship's horn blowing as we pulled away, the dancing, chatting up the pretty DJ, the formal dinners with the captain, the beautiful weather, swimming, the King Neptune ceremony when crossing the equator, pretty girls and my father donning his full uniform whites and gold braid when arriving in Buenos Aires.

I'll dig out some photos.

Yes, I agree. In the 1950's and 1960's the most common way to travel to Europe was the ship, like this one. I traveled from Genoa to Buenos Aires in 1964 and the experience that Mr Splinter told was true. The service was excellent and I were in second class,but since it was a shortage of young people in 1st. class we were allowed to go to the 1st. class ball and party rooms at all times. At 5 pm a string orchestra played classic music while we have tea and sandwiches and after dinner there was a dancing party.

I remember very well that we argentines had a great prestige among the Brazilians girls, since we were more well behaved and they liked our chivalrous attitude, now lost. Young people of my country are nowadays mostly a bunch of rude people.

Not only the Italians had good ships. I remember having traveled to England in the "Andes" and "Highland brigade" ( two famous ships of the UK) when being a kid. One of the good things is that the ship stop in a harbor from the morning until the twilight, so we were able to visit the country, In this way I visited the island of Madeira ( Portuguese territory) and we went with my family to see the grave of the last Austrian Emperor Karl, died in 1922.