Six Nations Rugby (with spoilers!)

There are 51 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,633 times. The latest Post () was by Bombonera.

• Scotland should have beaten Italy, but under the Argentine coach, Quesada, Italy showed flair and determination. It was an incredible match.

Ireland was hoping for a back to back grand slam, but was left speechless in the dying seconds by a remarkable drop goal by Marcus Smith, reminiscent of Johnny Wilkinson's drop goal against Australia in 2003.

The Six Nations at its very best!

• serafina I have been wondering about who plays rugby in Italy.

I think in Argentina it is played in the bilingual schools and so harks back to the 19th century British influence on the growth of the British school system still at large in the northern reaches of BA province.

But in Italy, is it in some way similar? Perhaps part of the curriculum in international schools and private schools? Would I be wrong in assuming it is not played in state schools? I'm fascinated about this question of how rugby has developed as a sport in Italy.

• serafina I have been wondering about who plays rugby in Italy.

I think in Argentina it is played in the bilingual schools and so harks back to the 19th century British influence on the growth of the British school system still at large in the northern reaches of BA province.

But in Italy, is it in some way similar? Perhaps part of the curriculum in international schools and private schools? Would I be wrong in assuming it is not played in state schools? I'm fascinated about this question of how rugby has developed as a sport in Italy.

That's a good question. My dad used to play rugby as an adult, but I think it was not very popular. We are predominantly a soccer nation. My dad also excelled at swimming and volleyball. He was not a pro, but from what I understand he played many sports even in his adult life (for sure my grandparents had no money to have him play sports as a kid). Now his back is paying the price of the many hits suffered during his years as a rugbier (he broke his nose once or twice, on top of that).

Private schools are not a thing in Italy, we all attend public schools. Private schools are also available only in bigger cities, but they don't have a special "culture" or community around them like I have seen here in Argentina (I am assuming this is alike to the UK and the US). Odd enough, where I grew up there was also a baseball team and a hockey on roller team that were very popular.

I suppose that's where end up people who don't excel at soccer.