What would you miss about Argentina?

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,056 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• The smell of asados on a Sunday morning

Choripan

The disorganised chaos

The well mannered Argentines

People saying 'permiso' every time they walk from one room to another in our house (workmen for example)

The way the traffic just keeps moving

The wide, empty open roads

The healthy cynicism of most people

Wall to wall sunshine for most of the year

...I'm sure there's a lot more.

• Thanks for your eulogy, Mr Splinter. However I dare to disagree (to my dismay) about "The well mannered Argentines". In the last 50 years we lost gradually the good manners, It happens to me very often to get up when I am seated in a table when a lady is coming, and my companions asks me "Why you have to get up?"

Norms of good education are disappearing in my country. Populism has something to do in this matter.

Perhaps I am erred and yours was only an ironic comment, right?

• I am always offered a seat on public transport by old and young male Argentinians, or to step on the bus before them even if we are standing in line and they arrived before me. This is something that I have never witnessed elsewhere.

The weather and the nature are the main reasons why I am staying it here. If it had the same weather as in Central or Northern Europe, I would never live here, regardless of how nice the people are.

I like the lively society, the many events. In north Italy we mostly live indoor and we are not gregarious. Here people are non-competitive and very relaxed most of the time. I also like the way the locals can fight and be humorous at the same time.

• Thanks for your eulogy, Mr Splinter. However I dare to disagree (to my dismay) about "The well mannered Argentines". In the last 50 years we lost gradually the good manners, It happens to me very often to get up when I am seated in a table when a lady is coming, and my companions asks me "Why you have to get up?"

Norms of good education are disappearing in my country. Populism has something to do in this matter.

Perhaps I am erred and yours was only an ironic comment, right?

I'm serious Carlos

I lived most of my life in the UK and a couple of years in Spain. It's very noticeable how well mannered Argentines are and I picked it up straight away.

Populism has created a sub-culture of brainwashed militants, yes. But those same people, I'll wager, are still well mannered.

I've yet to witness bad manners here, but I have on plenty of occasions back in England. For example, if you go into a shop or a petrol station here, you are always greeted nicely. I can't say the same for many places in the UK, where often you don't get any greeting at all.

• Well, Mr Splinter, that's a relief. Perhaps some people like me (born in 1943) were educated under English and French teachers which demanded that a young men must try to be a "Gentleman", that was the ideal. And perhaps this is a feature that we still owe to the UK and France cultural influence ,among many others.

• What would I miss about Argentina?

I can answer that in a non-theoretical way, since the pandemic has kept us away for 2 years.

The thoughtfulness of good Argentine friends.

Neighbors and shopkeepers who wave and hug.

The marvelous resilience and optimism of the Argentine people.

The aroma and anticipation of weekend asados.

Romantic, dark restaurants serving tasty food.

Concerts open to the public, on any given day, in traditional and unexpected venues.

The unparalleled skill of Argentine drivers.

The pleasure of opening an untried wine.

Walking for miles in unexplored barrios.

The architecture!

Teatro Colón.

The crazy-wide Nueve de Julio.

Empanadas and medialunas.

Pizzas from El Cuartito and Los Maestros.

The visual and olfactory beauty of the Rosedal.

Museums free and welcoming of the public.

Lush old and new plants amid fountains and statues in the Botanical Garden.

Colorful, vocal birds - - the zorzal singing at 4 am and the flock of green parrots screeching around Plaza Guadalupe before sunset.

Buenos Aires’ stately, wonderous churches with their clear, ringing bells.

Warming, embracing sunshine and open, blue skies.

Clear, star-filled nights; the Three Marias.

The excitement of Buenos Aires and the quiet calm of the countryside.

Wide Atlantic beaches, wild waterfalls, craggy mountains, rushing rivers.

In short, I miss absolutely everything about this wonderful country.

• Being from the frozen north, the weather here obviously kicks Scotland in the arse.....although this summer was too ruddy hot for me!!

Booze and baccy are cheap here which makes me happy. :thumbup:
    Not sure if it's because I'm Scottish but the people have always shown me nothing but kindness....and the poorer they are the nicer they've been. :thumbup: I can see through those with money...their motives for being nice are usually to do with what they can get out of you. ^^

Asados are nice when you're mixing with friends however the quality of the grub is overrated in my opinion. I'd rather have a McDonalds but the nearest one is about a 100 miles away.

• Being from the frozen north, the weather here obviously kicks Scotland in the arse.....although this summer was too ruddy hot for me!!

Booze and baccy are cheap here which makes me happy. :thumbup:
    Not sure if it's because I'm Scottish but the people have always shown me nothing but kindness....and the poorer they are the nicer they've been. :thumbup: I can see through those with money...their motives for being nice are usually to do with what they can get out of you. ^^

Asados are nice when you're mixing with friends however the quality of the grub is overrated in my opinion. I'd rather have a McDonalds but the nearest one is about a 100 miles away.

Mac Donalds?

Ya hethen!

• UK Man , you may be the first person from a non-beef-exporting country I’ve heard complain about the quality of the meat in Argentina. You must be going to gringo asados! :th_giggle01:

Yeah I know. :P Even my missus says the beef here isn't as good as it used to be. Scottish beef is every bit as good, probably even better!

• You’re both right: When we were enjoying our first fabulous steaks in Argentina in 2005, people told us that the arrival of feed lots had resulted in a marked decline in quality. And I can say that by 2019, the meat in Argentina wasn’t of the same quality as in 2005.

But comparisons must be carefully made. When you return to the UK for a short visit with family, you aren’t eating everyday meat! You’re probably going to the best steakhouse in town and enjoying grass-fed beef. If you do that in Argentina, you’ll be getting heavenly steaks better than anywhere else in the world.

The beef you’d be able to buy at the grocery stores in Scotland couldn’t compare to the high-end restaurants’. Nor can the grocer’s beef in Argentina. But I’d venture to say Argentina’s is still better than most on that level.

• The beef you’d be able to buy at the grocery stores in Scotland couldn’t compare to the high-end restaurants’. Nor can the grocer’s beef in Argentina. But I’d venture to say Argentina’s is still better than most on that level.

Here's the missus when we went for a walk in Scotland. The picnic was a couple of steaks bought from Tesco the supermarket chain. Tasted every bit as good as anything I've eaten here.

fire4-2.jpg

• My sister is spending some time in Scotland this spring/summer. I’ll ask for her impartial opinion on Tesco’s steaks! (Those two are big enough to feed my husband and me for 5 days! Y’all polished them off on a hike?!)

Mrs UK Man is cute and looks like a lot of fun.

• My sister is spending some time in Scotland this spring/summer. I’ll ask for her impartial opinion on Tesco’s steaks! (Those two are big enough to feed my husband and me for 5 days! Y’all polished them off on a hike?!)

Mrs UK Man is cute and looks like a lot of fun.

She can also eat like a horse. ^^