Eating out tonight

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,068 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

At Malloys by the river near Martinez. We haven't been there since it was called Barrancas de Alvear but I've heard that the food has improved enormously.

I'll check in tomorrow with a full report.

https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/MALLOY%C2%B4S/@-34.4793263,-58.4845804,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x95bcb1991cc6a745:0x2ba301b3e6002d39!8m2!3d-34.4793263!4d-58.4823917

• Official Post

I didn't notice any Guinness mate, but I did notice how popular this place is since it changed hands.

It's now owned by an American surfer from San Diego and he's transformed it from a run down, worn out, typical Arg eating house (bife with everything) to a quality, high turnover restaurant, if a little trendy and crowded for my tastes.

We turned up at 8.30 and even then had to wait for a table, mainly because it was Saturday night of course. I chose the lomo sandwich with fries (proper chunky ones) which was huge and beautifully cooked and Adri had the pasta which she loved. We sat outside with views of the river and a starry sky which was very pleasant, aided by a very nice Trapiche Cave du Fond Cabernet ($230) and a bottle of Sol beer to start.

Maybe I'm getting older but the tables and chairs were too low for me, but that's just a detail.

The service was excellent, although they do rush you a little, only because when we left at 10 they were queuing outside to get a table. Top quality food and at $900 I can't say if it's good value or not because of wacky prices nowadays. Probably is though.

We really enjoyed it, but next time I'll try and find somewhere a little more intimate and less crowded.

We took some nice photos but as usual I forgot to snap the food. Got some stars though.

• I posted this five years ago and even then we were complaining about crazy prices.

Anyway, yesterday we went for a late lunch/early dinner at a different restaurant in Martinez and this time even closer to the river. I had planned this for several days as a surprise for Adri because she's chained to her desk doing tax returns and needed a break.

It's only a 20 minute walk from home, so that was the plan, there and back. However, as predicted, torrential rain arrived at about 3 pm, so we drove.

The place is Dulce Maria and is open until 7 pm with last orders for food being at 5 pm, so we arrived at 4.30 with only two other couples dining.

The service was excellent, with happy and smiling waiters/waitresses amid a very relaxed atmosphere, with unusual and very flowery surroundings. In fact it definitely had a very gay feel to it which explains why the service was so good.

Adri had two poached eggs on toast with avocado topping, I had mozzarella dips and we shared a big plate of chips with various other dips.

We didn't feel like wine (not to mention the price of wine when dining out), so just had a couple of cans of Stella.

What I liked most was the surprise for Adri, watching the pouring rain at our window table and the peaceful feeling of being in a deserted restaurant that you would normally have to queue up to get into.

Total cost $6050, of which $2000 was the beer!

Highly recommended, but I would only go when it's not at rush hour or on a weekend. Weekday, late4 afternoon seems best.

• Richard Pedersen , for an idea of order of magnitude, you can divide by 500. So about $12 - $13 US, of which about $4 was for beer.

Time to make a flight reservation?

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Those are very good prices; I couldn't dine out for that price here even if I was alone.
    I could pay for the flight with the money saved on food! :)
    I bought a Guinness yesterday at a very not fancy bar (read "dive"); it cost $4 (US) for a 12-ounce bottle. If I took it home, a 6-pack would have been $10. I guess we have to pay for the "atmosphere" of the not fancy bar.

• Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Those are very good prices; I couldn't dine out for that price here even if I was alone.
    I could pay for the flight with the money saved on food! :)
    I bought a Guinness yesterday at a very not fancy bar (read "dive"); it cost $4 (US) for a 12-ounce bottle. If I took it home, a 6-pack would have been $10. I guess we have to pay for the "atmosphere" of the not fancy bar.

I haven't been to a dive for quite a while, but I do know that a litre of Heinekin, say, would be about US$3.50 here.