Brits think Yerba Mate is a drug!

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,374 times. The latest Post () was by An expat's wife.

• When I first came here it was usual to see people sitting outside sharing a mate with friends...even groups of young ones in the squares. It doesn't seem to be as common a sight now. I wonder if its popularity is waning?

With Covid people stopped sharing mate. You may share it within your bubble, though. Maybe you've heard/read the 'Cada uno con su mate' campaign?

• I've never been a big fan of sharing the mate pipe with others anyway, but that's just me.

Or anybody's with a basic understanding of how diseases spread, for what matters. :rolleyes:

I have always drank my mate alone. I started by sipping my husband's mate, and I have also asked him to not share his mate with anyone else. Not even his families.

I remember that on the Subway in NY many years ago there was a campaign to raise awareness on cavities passed from mother to child when she "cleaned" the pacer by sucking it.

• With Covid people stopped sharing mate. You may share it within your bubble, though. Maybe you've heard/read the 'Cada uno con su mate' campaign?

That's only being sensible. I'm talking about the years before Covid. I suspect Covid will also make mate drinking even less popular with the young ones. Other drinks will have become more popular.

• That's only being sensible. I'm talking about the years before Covid. I suspect Covid will also make mate drinking even less popular with the young ones. Other drinks will have become more popular.

I really have no idea what will happen in the future! Kids usually don't like it (probably because it's bitter unless their families add sugar) but mate becomes popular among teens. Teenagers share a code, interests, music, and mate is one more thing they can share.

• I really have no idea what will happen in the future! Kids usually don't like it (probably because it's bitter unless their families add sugar) but mate becomes popular among teens. Teenagers share a code, interests, music, and mate is one more thing they can share.

Here's hoping they carry on with the tradition. :thumbup:

One worry is the expanding choice of designer drinks now available in cans which are obviously aimed at the younger generation. I fear they might acquire a taste for the booze rather than sharing a mate.

• Or anybody's with a basic understanding of how diseases spread, for what matters. :rolleyes:

I have always drank my mate alone. I started by sipping my husband's mate, and I have also asked him to not share his mate with anyone else. Not even his families.

I remember that on the Subway in NY many years ago there was a campaign to raise awareness on cavities passed from mother to child when she "cleaned" the pacer by sucking it.

Here's hoping they carry on with the tradition. :thumbup:

One worry is the expanding choice of designer drinks now available in cans which are obviously aimed at the younger generation. I fear they might acquire a taste for the booze rather than sharing a mate.

Well... that can be a 'risk' but things change and as generations adopt traditions they, more or less consciously, adapt them to their tastes and habits. But I think the traditional mate experience is unlikely to disappear :)

• Well... that can be a 'risk' but things change and as generations adopt traditions they, more or less consciously, adapt them to their tastes and habits. But I think the traditional mate experience is unlikely to disappear :)

Hope not. I never knew anything about it until my first visit to Argentina. I wondered why so many people were carrying flasks about with them. ^^

When my wife lived in Scotland she always had at least one yerba mate a day. Her cases were always full of packets of it on our return journey after holidaying here.

• Hope not. I never knew anything about it until my first visit to Argentina. I wondered why so many people were carrying flasks about with them. ^^

When my wife lived in Scotland she always had at least one yerba mate a day. Her cases were always full of packets of it on our return journey after holidaying here.

Oh, yes! I can imagine that :) Usually, people who drink mate have it every day and maybe several times a day.