Temperature Control Kettles

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,007 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I have a temperature control kettle, which I think for the last so many years I've had it, has been the bees knees (an old British term for good) for me.

I think its much better than scalding yourself drinking tea or coffee (personally I don't like coffee, unless its latte). It is also good for cooking, like fermenting yeast in a more controlled manner, than over either a stove, or waiting for boiling water to cool down a bit for the right temperature

• I have a temperature control kettle, which I think for the last so many years I've had it, has been the bees knees (an old British term for good) for me.

I think its much better than scalding yourself drinking tea or coffee (personally I don't like coffee, unless its latte). It is also good for cooking, like fermenting yeast in a more controlled manner, than over either a stove, or waiting for boiling water to cool down a bit for the right temperature

You mean a kettle with a thermostat that turns off automatically? Surely they are all like that.

• “Temperature control kettle” sounds like something more sophisticated than the usual electric kettle, which merely boils water And then shuts off. If yours, SpaceNut , can be used to ferment yeast, it must have additional temperature settings?

• “Temperature control kettle” sounds like something more sophisticated than the usual electric kettle, which merely boils water And then shuts off. If yours, SpaceNut , can be used to ferment yeast, it must have additional temperature settings?

Probably. The electric kettles we've had for several years have had various temperature settings for mate and such like. Some have been shit right enough. I suspect the UK ones are far more sophisticated and accurate.

• My cousin has a smart kettle. Something he can programme via Bluetooth from his mobile phone (!). He can set the temperature every 10 °C. I found out the perfect mate temperature is 70 °C and not 80 °C.

Our electric kettle was a gift from friends in Italy, so it only goes from room temp to boiling temp. We constantly have to feel the temp with our hands to stop it at the right mate temp. I can't bear to throw it away since it is still working well, but I admit it is a pain.

I sometimes use it to boil water to make pasta, since it is much faster than the stove. I have no other use for it, though.

At least ours, only works with water.

No, I’m able to set a temperature so that I can put yeast in the water and go from there

• If I am not mistaken, also tea should NOT be made with boiling water. So, all kettles should be able to stop earlier than the boiling point.

I visited a tea farm in Oberá, Misiones, and at the tea salon each variety one ordered came with precise instructions: temperature of water and infusion time. We were served the hot water at the right temperature, and a hourglass for the required time (the size of the hourglass determined the time it could count).

• If I am not mistaken, also tea should NOT be made with boiling water. So, all kettles should be able to stop earlier than the boiling point.

I visited a tea farm in Oberá, Misiones, and at the tea salon each variety one ordered came with precise instructions: temperature of water and infusion time. We were served the hot water at the right temperature, and a hourglass for the required time (the size of the hourglass determined the time it could count).

Yes and you're supposed to warm the tea pot before you pour in the hot water........all well and good if you have a kitchen maid and a butler. ^^