Remote Working Nature Lovers

There are 58 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,489 times. The latest Post () was by Gary Kipher.

• Hola a todos,

I need your opinion to transform our community. It's a beach town called Cariló, in the Municipality of Pinamar: Pinos = 'pine trees' and mar = 'sea'. So, we have both: sea and forest. Tourists come during summer but no one lives here in winter. We have fiber internet to the home and my guess is that's an interesting option for digital nomads who love nature. There are other important factors when choosing a place to relocate and I'd like to know which are critical. I'd love to read/listen to any story you can share, whether or not it took place in a natural environment. You can either answer here or we can schedule a call. Thanks!

• We are big Carilo fans! Two or three trips a year. Chill out vacation time!

Would I live there? Yes, no doubts whatsoever.

The problem is an aging mother-in-law who would accuse us of stealing her only grandchild........

I see and can understand that :) I can't promise we can find a magical solution like a local mother-in-law or another grandchild! Hopefully, you can enjoy visiting the town, at least during your vacation time. Could you mention 3-4 reasons why you'd live here?

• We’ve been to Cariló, and very much enjoyed the “village” feel, the unpaved roads, the smell of the beautiful old pines, the colorful and vocal bird population. A friend of ours with a house in Pinamar made a very appealing promo video of it and perhaps he could send it to you if you want to message me.

That said, of course Pinamar and Cariló are very different places, and I hope that Cariló remains small and natural.

• We’ve been to Cariló, and very much enjoyed the “village” feel, the unpaved roads, the smell of the beautiful old pines, the colorful and vocal bird population. A friend of ours with a house in Pinamar made a very appealing promo video of it and perhaps he could send it to you if you want to message me.

That said, of course Pinamar and Cariló are very different places, and I hope that Cariló remains small and natural.

Thanks for your message, Rice! Yes, It'd be nice to watch your friend's video: how should we do? I think I understand what you liked about our community (and what you mean about the difference between Cariló and Pinamar!): would you live here?

• Welcome An expat's wife

I would live there simply because I enjoy peaceful places for writing, but of course it's not that peaceful for about four months of the year. But I think I could put up with that. Besides, I would love to live by the sea.

We've been there both in winter and summer, but I prefer winter for the reasons I just mentioned and would definitely rent a cabina for a long weekend with my wife before it gets too cold.

Are you asking whether it would be viable to rent your place out to digital nomads or others? Most people who have rental places there, make their money in the summer and it can be very profitable.

• Welcome An expat's wife

I would live there simply because I enjoy peaceful places for writing, but of course it's not that peaceful for about four months of the year. But I think I could put up with that. Besides, I would love to live by the sea.

We've been there both in winter and summer, but I prefer winter for the reasons I just mentioned and would definitely rent a cabina for a long weekend with my wife before it gets too cold.

Are you asking whether it would be viable to rent your place out to digital nomads or others? Most people who have rental places there, make their money in the summer and it can be very profitable.

Hi Splinter, thanks both for your welcome and your message. I'm asking because I think it has a lot of potential to become an attractive spot for digital nomads and thus I'm trying to understand which things should change in order to achieve that. What you say it's true: more and more people are renting their homes in the summer because, as you said, it's a popular destination during those months. I wonder what it lacks to be a good option in winter too. You've mentioned the weather: Would a better heating system do the trick? :)

• One natural result of the low population in winter is that there are shops and restaurants that simply can’t justify staying open. Digital nomads don’t necessarily want to live in a town that is semi-deserted for much of the year, so they generally gravitate to larger communities.

• One natural result of the low population in winter is that there are shops and restaurants that simply can’t justify staying open. Digital nomads don’t necessarily want to live in a town that is semi-deserted for much of the year, so they generally gravitate to larger communities.

That's totally true! It's a chicken and egg situation. To make our community better, the downtown should be vibrant all year round. Not only shops are open longer hours but also they bring new, exotic items like Chinese seasonings and French mustard.

Rice , There is a very large Coto Hypermarket about 3 / 4kms out of town , for grocery shopping.

Yeap! You can also order groceries online

• In Scotland many of the locations that are idyllic in summer aren't quite as attractive out of season. There is still a market for weekend visitors in some places but it's mostly not worth the hassle for holiday rental owners to have to open up then close and clean a property unless they live close by.

The number of ''digital nomads'' waning to spend money renting a property at the sea
    side in winter must be very low.

• In Scotland many of the locations that are idyllic in summer aren't quite as attractive out of season. There is still a market for weekend visitors in some places but it's mostly not worth the hassle for holiday rental owners to have to open up then close and clean a property unless they live close by.

The number of ''digital nomads'' waning to spend money renting a property at the sea
    side in winter must be very low.

I think I understand what you mean and I guess that's why rental owners hire housekeepers who welcome visitors and clean up after they live. In any case, as you say, the town can be a nice summer destination but not attractive enough out of season for most people. Only a few of us find fascinating the beach and the forest in autumn and winter, too! :)

• An expat's wife

What's the Internet service like in Carilo? You mentioned fibre optic, so it must be at least 50-100Mbps or more.

I'm sure that would satisfy most digital nomads' needs. Either way, it's a huge improvement on what the coastal Internet used to be down there.

I've just checked the speed: 280 Mb

My wife's always saying that...I do ramble on a bit!! ^^

By the way welcome to the forum. Which country is your husband from?

That's why I said 'I think' :)

Thanks, for your welcome. My husband is from Siberia, Russia but he's been a nomad for 15 years and about 4 years ago he got the Argentinian citizenship.

• Cariló is nice in the summer for the reason that Rice mentions. However, it is also the most expensive summer place in Argentina, so I don't see it as particularly attractive. I used to spend the summers in Mar del Plata with my husband, and as soon as the summer season was over, it became colder sooner than Buenos Aires, the wind was VERY strong, and temperatures in winter are much lower than in Capital.

As others have mentioned, all the nice places that are open in the summer (restaurants, cafés, bars etc.) are mostly closed. At least, in a city of 1.5 million people like Mar del Plata, business service is working all year round. However, it becomes very quiet and cold. For me, even Mar del Plata become unattractive in winter. It would be okay for a quick getaway for a change of scenery, but I would miss Buenos Aires.

• Cariló is nice in the summer for the reason that Rice mentions. However, it is also the most expensive summer place in Argentina, so I don't see it as particularly attractive. I used to spend the summers in Mar del Plata with my husband, and as soon as the summer season was over, it became colder sooner than Buenos Aires, the wind was VERY strong, and temperatures in winter are much lower than in Capital.

As others have mentioned, all the nice places that are open in the summer (restaurants, cafés, bars etc.) are mostly closed. At least, in a city of 1.5 million people like Mar del Plata, business service is working all year round. However, it becomes very quiet and cold. For me, even Mar del Plata become unattractive in winter. It would be okay for a quick getaway for a change of scenery, but I would miss Buenos Aires.

Adri would agree with you on that.

Yes, you are right: price and cold weather can be a disadvantage for some people. If I may ask, which place would be a more attractive alternative?