There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 124 times. The last Post () by Rice.

Madelaine Albright

• Former US secretary of state whose family escaped the Nazis and largely inspired her career path.

Madeleine Albright, first female US secretary of state, dies
    Madeleine Albright, the first female US secretary of state and who helped steer Western foreign policy in the aftermath of the Cold War, has died. She was 84…
    edition.cnn.com

• I met her once. In Cannes some ten years ago. She had invested in an Indian company which I was doing some work for.

Great speaker but there was something about her that made me distrust her.

Every time I met her, I always checked my wallet was still in my pocket when I left her company.

• I met her once. In Cannes some ten years ago. She had invested in an Indian company which I was doing some work for.

Great speaker but there was something about her that made me distrust her.

Every time I met her, I always checked my wallet was still in my pocket when I left her company.

I too am surprised by why you felt you shouldn't trust her.

On the other hand, Jeane Kirkpatrick, another US ambassador to the UN, didn't feel that the so-called special relationship warranted assisting the UK over the Falklands war, but the US assisted anyway.

Her most notorious performance came during the Falklands war of 1982 when she made little or no effort to disguise her distaste for American diplomatic support of Britain. She later explained that "I thought a policy of neutrality in that war made sense from the point of view of US interests and would have done Britain no harm", but she was far from passive. There was reliable evidence, for example, that she had regular contacts with members of the Galtieri government to pass on details of her government's latest diplomatic intentions.

Obituary: Jeane Kirkpatrick
    Obituary: As President Reagan's first ambassador to the United Nations, she had a rigid anti-communist view of the world.
    www.theguardian.com

• I’m shocked at your reaction to her, GlasgowJohn . She is one of the few public figures for whom I’ve never heard anything but admiration.

Decided to chat with a friend who was also at the press conference MA gave in Cannes.

He tells me that I jumped to the wrong conclusion because of her dodgy business partners.

Her investment company had invested 200m dollars in this Indian company, whose executives had still to learn what the word ethics means. I did some homework on the guys and abandoned the project that I was doing for them. I really could not understand what she was doing with these guys. I was able to jump ship but a Uruguayan friend is still owed about 20k and a Paraguayan acquaintance around 10k. They will never see that cash.

I am trying to find out if her investment is still intact.