E-sim in Argentina

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,193 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I just bought a new phone with dual SIM option, being one a physical SIM card to be inserted in the dedicated slot, and the second one a virtual SIM.

It was my first virtual SIM and it works like charm: you go to a mobile operator store and buy one. They give you a QR code, that you scan with your mobile phone. You can then decide what will be your primary number for data and for voice on that phone.

I am thinking to buy an ESIM in Argentina, so that I can keep my Italian SIM card and number active while in Argentina. My current mobile operator, movistar, has been supporting ESIMs since 2019. I will be visiting their store once I come back to find out the cost.

The only drawback of ESIMs is that they can be activated only while in the country. It is not clear to me whether this is true also when changing phone.

Is anybody using ESIMs?

• I’ve wondered about the dual SIM feature, but didn’t know that one of the two was an ESIM. The Wikipedia entry went into detail, but I’m grateful to you, serafina , for your much clearer explanation. That would be very handy for us, with an ESIM in Argentina.

But I’ll wait until Apple quits supporting my phone. They are so expensive that I hate to get a new one until I don’t have any choice.

• I’ve wondered about the dual SIM feature, but didn’t know that one of the two was an ESIM. The Wikipedia entry went into detail, but I’m grateful to you, serafina , for your much clearer explanation. That would be very handy for us, with an ESIM in Argentina.

But I’ll wait until Apple quits supporting my phone. They are so expensive that I hate to get a new one until I don’t have any choice.

Go Android next time. It's a more flexible system.

• I got my eSIM from Movistar today, free of charge. You have to go in person at a Movistar store.

You don't need to surrender your old sim card, but I will stop working immediately. The eSIM is basically a plastic card with a QR code. You just point your camera at the QR code and the new line will install itself.

One caveat: you will need to keep the QR code in order to install the line on a different phone or if you reset your phone for any reason. You cannot activate it from abroad. Which means that you buy a new phone while abroad, the QR code won't let you install the line until you are back in Argentina. It works the same anywhere with eSIM, for what matters. Now I will keep my Italian sim card in the phone slot, and will have at the same time my Argentinian number as an eSIM.

I hope this is helpful to someone.