Hello, coming to Argentina in June for a long stay.

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 977 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Hi,

I am traveling to Buenos Aires in June. I am 42 and will be staying at least a month. I plan on staying in either downtown BA, or Palermo.

My son will be staying with the Boca Juniors soccer club, so I will have all week to my own to explore. We are considering emigrating from the US to either Argentina or Uruguay.

Anyone willing to shed light on how they exchange their national currency? Do you do this at banks, or change houses? Is there one that you that you prefer? Do any of you do remote work, are paid in Euros and Dollars, and convert it? Are there tax issues you have?

Are there any good festivals, or cultural events that take place during June? Or are those more summertime events?

Is it relatively easy to get to and from Bariloche, Salta and other getaway locations during weekends in June? Or is the weather outside of the coast not great in June?

Would love to meet anyone for coffee or a beer as well. Hopefully the world calms down by then.

Thanks

• Hi and welcome to the forum upocmingExpat !

Most people change foreign currency in the alternative (blue) market if you know what I mean. The difference is substantial because the official rates bear no relation to reality. Don't go to a bank to change currency.

I'm sure some of us would love to meet up for a coffee when you arrive, so keep us posted!

• Thanks for the tip. If we fly in with American Cash, I'm assuming we can have it changed at a "blue" house without a bank account? Is that correct?

Or do I need to currency exchange at the airport, which sounds like a horrible idea.

Certainly not at the airport. GlasgowJohn is right about WU, but I'm sure we can point you in the right direction when you arrive.

• Bring in USD - New 100 Dollar bills are best - can often be difficult to exchange damaged or old notes.

Change enough money at the airport for your taxi- you will get 105/106 for the dollar. Whereas in the unofficial FX houses you will get close to 200.

• Bring in USD - New 100 Dollar bills are best - can often be difficult to exchange damaged or old notes.

Change enough money at the airport for your taxi- you will get 105/106 for the dollar. Whereas in the unofficial FX houses you will get close to 200.

We’ve had bills rejected because of a folded down corner or a small pen stroke. Now we ask our American bank to examine all before we pick up the new bills.

What a wonderful time you will have in Argentina!