There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 474 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

This is the definition of Room 101 as featured in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four.

It is a torture chamber in the Ministry of Love in which the Party attempts to subject a prisoner to his or her own worst nightmare, fear or phobia.

So I have to ask, why are so many so-called expert guides suffixed/appended with 101? For example, Painting Your House 101.

It seems a strange habit considering the meaning of Room 101, but it seems to have stuck.

Room 101 - TV Tropes
    A Place Worse Than Death. The place no one wants to visit: a torture chamber, brainwashing program or place of punishment so terrible that it is spoken of only…
    tvtropes.org

• In the US, very basic, introductory courses at university are numbered in the low 100’s, while intermediary classes could be numbered in the 200’s, and advanced ones, in the 300’s.

So Introduction to Music Theory might be Music Theory 101, whereas a 401 designation would most likely be reserved for Advanced Symphonic Composition.

In ordinary conversation, “101” is often used in a sarcastic way: if I burn the toast, my husband might laugh and exclaim “Cooking 101!”

Complete coincidence that Orwell chose Room 101.

• Official Post

Ah ha, thanks for the explanation.