Welcome to the Argentina Expats Forum

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 30,148 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Just now sorting out this site and how to navigate. I registered at the suggestion of a current participant. My wife and I plan to move to Buenos Aires over the next year or two for half-years during the North American winter months. Back in 2015 I participated in the <baexpats.org> group. Back then, through the posts, I learned about many details of interest. Still ahead is an application for residence (our son is US passport 13 years in Buenos Aires, with his family) so we can ship some household goods. One hopes all will be easier now, or going to be easier, than it was under the previous federal government.

• Welcome! I also have an optimistic vision of the future of Argentina. But it needs our best efforts, and hard work.

Should you need more information about the country, I tell you that I am not an expat. I was born and raised in BA. Therefore do not hesitate to ask me whatever you need.

• Welcome, Bill! Carlos is right -- he is a terrific source of practical information as well as historical context, as you will soon see, from his posts on this forum. We are glad you have joined us, and glad that you and Carmen will be spending more time in Buenos Aires - one of the world's wonderful cities, in my opinion!

• Hi there, Bill.

You'll find that this community is small but growing, and the level and quality of discourse are high. Land a topic and there'll be respectful, intelligent discussion.

(That's a bit self-serving, but what the hell! Welcome!)

• Official Post

Just now sorting out this site and how to navigate. I registered at the suggestion of a current participant. My wife and I plan to move to Buenos Aires over the next year or two for half-years during the North American winter months. Back in 2015 I participated in the <baexpats.org> group. Back then, through the posts, I learned about many details of interest. Still ahead is an application for residence (our son is US passport 13 years in Buenos Aires, with his family) so we can ship some household goods. One hopes all will be easier now, or going to be easier, than it was under the previous federal government.

Welcome GuillermoBill !

As for shipping your stuff here, once you get your residency approved, you have 6 months to ship your items down here 'tax free'. But note that it is still expensive, so not exactly free 'free'. About household goods, remember that appliances use a different voltage/frequency, and only a limited choice of branded replacements is available here. It may be better to leave electrical appliances in the States or find a way to get 220V/50Hz appliances before moving. Goods must be at least 6 months old to be 'tax free' when coming here. Of course there is no need to show a receipt, but some wear and tear plays in your favor!

There are some stores in the States which specialize in 220V/50Hz appliances, but you have to do your own research because I cannot name any.

Hope it helps!

• Thank you to those who wrote in reply. I appreciate the greetings. I can see there is range of perspectives and experiences among the forum members. I'll try to look in every few days, and read through what is here already. I need to finish my profile. Currently my wife and "winter" in San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur. This is Mexico lite. Sixty years ago the municipality may have had 5,000 people, and now I think it nears 300,000. There are some Argentines here, especially musicians.

• Thank you to those who wrote in reply. I appreciate the greetings. I can see there is range of perspectives and experiences among the forum members. I'll try to look in every few days, and read through what is here already. I need to finish my profile. Currently my wife and "winter" in San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur. This is Mexico lite. Sixty years ago the municipality may have had 5,000 people, and now I think it nears 300,000. There are some Argentines here, especially musicians.

Bill, to what do you attribute the enormous growth of San Jose del Cabo? Northamerican tourism that turned into residency? How do you feel about leaving?

• Official Post

There are some Argentines here, especially musicians.

I am always wondering how that many Argentines have managed to immigrate to the US. Everybody and their mothers has a relative who lives in the US - how did they?! I don't think they are all particularly skilled.

Or are Argentinians sponsoring themselves for their common motherland? Did they have a preferential channel to enter the US in the past?

• Hello Splinter - and everyone on board!

Nice website - really sharp looking - does take a bit of time to get acquainted with all the forum choices and layout;

and time is something I always seem to run short on because my schedule (forum activities I am involved with) takes up quite a bit of it.

Interested in reading some of the Threads and Posts here on this forum - however I will have to come back later to partake in them.

DJ

• Dear CruiseJunki

Welcome to the forum, I am the only argentinean member in this forum. Do not hesitate to make complaints about the country, I know we have many things to arrange in a best way.

Every complaint will be responded with respect and gallantry. And every praise will be welcome.

• Thanks to all of you who welcomed me to this forum!

Dear CruiseJunki

Welcome to the forum, I am the only argentinean member in this forum. Do not hesitate to make complaints about the country, I know we have many things to arrange in a best way.

Every complaint will be responded with respect and gallantry. And every praise will be welcome.

Thank you for your mention (regarding complaints and praises).

I am not in the habit of making complaints about a country I know almost nothing about; but hopefully I will soonfind some reason or reasons to

say something which is at the very least, a "positive" comment about Argentina.

Good to have you aboard (rimshot).

Do you do lots of cruises? We had a spectacular one last Sept-Oct with Viking.

Do I do a lot of cruises? Not nearly as many I would LIKE to do!

If money were not a concern, I would be on a cruise at least 6 times a year at the very least.

I have been to Mexico - as far south as Acapulco - twice; once to Alaska (what a beautiful place - especially Sitka;

and once to Central Caribbean.

The next cruise I want to make is the Baltic Sea Cruise; especially if it includes Saint Petersburg, Russia.

Some cruise lines stay there for three days; which would give enough time to take the High Speed Train to Moscow and back.

Vladimir Putin spent over 2 Billion USD in completely refurbishing Saint Petersburg - (I wish the U.S. Government would do as much.)

Colonial William J Wilson of the U.S. Army (since deceased) told me it is the most beautiful city in all of Russia.

Your cruise of last September - October - Viking. Is that posted on this forum?

DJ