I hate Christmas here!!

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,400 times. The latest Post () was by Semigoodlooking.

• :ban: As the thread title subtly suggests I just can't get into the same Christmas mood here that I used to get back in the UK....although it has to be said I was never a big fan of it there as soon as I reached adulthood. For me with temperatures here in the mid 30c's it just doesn't feel like Christmas and never will. How about you?

• It’s 27 degrees C here, so we have the same weather disconnect. It will never look like the horse-drawn sleigh scenes from Christmas in Connecticut, but we satisfy that lack by watching movies set in snowy climates. And we revel in the fact that, after many uncomfortably, miserably cold Christmas seasons, we are lucky enough to be living in a subtropical climate where we can actually ENJOY being OUTSIDE on Christmas!

• It’s 27 degrees C here, so we have the same weather disconnect. It will never look like the horse-drawn sleigh scenes from Christmas in Connecticut, but we satisfy that lack by watching movies set in snowy climates. And we revel in the fact that, after many uncomfortably, miserably cold Christmas seasons, we are lucky enough to be living in a subtropical climate where we can actually ENJOY being OUTSIDE on Christmas!

You're obviously a hot sun worshipper Rice whereas I'm quite the opposite. A wet, windy, cold Chistmas like most of the ones I had in Glasgow were far preferable compared to the hot and sweaty ones I've only ever experienced here. Even my chestnuts come ready cooked!!

• Official Post

For me, it's not so much the climate, which I've now got used to, but doing exactly the same thing every Christmas Eve for the last sixteen years. Same house, same people and exactly the same food, not to mention the drawn out Christmas present ceremony which can go on for over an hour.

I welcome change and always look for a different angle, but have to suffer the same old, same old every bloody year. The only way to get through it without sulking is to keep the booze topped up and this year I'm making a trifle with Bird's custard and extra brandy soaked vanilla sponges. That should get them going.

• For me, it's not so much the climate, which I've now got used to, but doing exactly the same thing every Christmas Eve for the last sixteen years. Same house, same people and exactly the same food, not to mention the drawn out Christmas present ceremony which can go on for over an hour.

I welcome change and always look for a different angle, but have to suffer the same old, same old every bloody year. The only way to get through it without sulking is to keep the booze topped up and this year I'm making a trifle with Bird's custard and extra brandy soaked vanilla sponges. That should get them going.

We don't have to put up with family or friends which is a blessing as neither of us can be arsed with all that anymore. We'll be going to the MIL's tonight to see in Christmas and with her going a bit gaga it'll be a very quiet affair. We'll take and eat the cold buffet, drink the sidra then put her to be bed asap after midnight before buggering off home. Tomorrow will be along similar lines except we don't have to hang about until midnight.

Already in the 30's and set to reach 38c!! FUCK!! ||

ClimaChivilcoy

Edited once, last by UK Man: Merged a post created by UK Man into this post. ().

• Official Post

Maybe the puritans had a point?

In 1647, the feast of Christmas was abolished in Wales and England by the Puritan Parliament and replaced with a day of fasting.

During the later part of the English Civil War and the subsequent rule of Oliver Cromwell as Lord Protector, Wales and England were ruled by a Puritan Parliament. Puritans saw Christmas as a Roman Catholic festival and disliked the waste, extravagance, disorder, sin and immorality associated with it. What they wanted was a much stricter observance of holy days such as Christmas, Easter and Whitsun. Despite pro-Christmas protests and rioting, the ban remained until the Restoration of King Charles II in 1660.

to those who demands winter in summertime I will advice them to change hemisphere and go to the opposite one. The country is in the Southern Hemisphere, there fo you cannot blame it for the heat in Christmas.

• to those who demands winter in summertime I will advice them to change hemisphere and go to the opposite one. The country is in the Southern Hemisphere, there fo you cannot blame it for the heat in Christmas.

Oh I was Just having a moan. Most of the locals can't stand the heat either from what I've been hearing.

• Official Post

to those who demands winter in summertime I will advice them to change hemisphere and go to the opposite one. The country is in the Southern Hemisphere, there fo you cannot blame it for the heat in Christmas.

There's nothing wrong about complaining about the heat in Argentina if you were born in a cold climate. Relax, man.

• I read yesterday that a perfectly professional person can suddenly be transported back to being a child making gingerbread men with grandmother, at the sound of a favorite Christmas song.

Because Christmas is such an emotional time, with such investment in childhood memories, it stands to reason that we all think the weather “should” be the way we remember it from decades ago?

• There's nothing wrong about complaining about the heat in Argentina if you were born in a cold climate. Relax, man.

Dear Gentleman, I am not excited neither angry. Perhaps you do not need to go to the Northern Hemisphere to have a not so warm Christmas. The British found in India, at the time

of the British Raj, a better place north from New Delhi, like Simla.

Shimla (English: /ˈʃɪmlə/; Hindi: [ˈʃɪmla] (About this soundlisten)), also known as Simla, is the capital and the largest city of the Northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. In 1864, Shimla was declared as the summer capital of British India. After independence, the city became the capital of Punjab and was later made the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. It is the principal commercial, cultural and educational centre of the state. It was the capital city in exile of British Burma (present-day Myanmar) from 1942 to 1945.[10]

Small hamlets were recorded prior to 1815 when British forces took control of the area. The climatic conditions attracted the British to establish the city in the dense forests of the Himalayas. As the summer capital, Shimla hosted many important political meetings including the Simla Accord of 1914 and the Simla Conference of 1945.

Perhaps we can find in Argentina or Chile a place with this pleasant kind of weather. By the way, I also do not like excessive heat in BA at Christmas time, but I cannot change weather conditions at 34 degrees south latitude, and in front of a wide basin or estuary like the Rio de la Plata.

• Perhaps we can find in Argentina or Chile a place with this pleasant kind of weather. By the way, I also do not like excessive heat in BA at Christmas time, but I cannot change weather conditions at 34 degrees south latitude, and in front of a wide basin or estuary like the Rio de la Plata.

My point Carlos was that for me it doesn't feel like Christmas due to the heat. I actually love the weather here outside of Dec/Jan/Feb. :thumbup:

• We’re never in Argentina in Jan/Feb, but I never have minded the December heat. Though this year it sounds excessive.

Still, I will tell you that our friends in the northern USA are profoundly jealous of everyone in tropical and subtropical areas. No frostbite, no falling on ice, no inexperienced winter drivers….

• It is more than the weather for me. Sure, I get that disconnect too, but more the issue is the Christmas tradition is just so different. Like it or loathe it (I am somewhere in the middle), the classic Christmas of santa, trees, presents, snow, carol singing, up at 7am for the presents bla bla bla is engrained in people from western Europe and North America. I guess I miss some of the pageantry despite the fact I didn't think I cared for it when living in the UK. That does not mean Argentina should change, although the country's increasing obsession with copying others (especially the US, those they profess to hate) is creeping in and you do see some of that classic Christmas slowing coming to the fore.

Speaking of the weather at Christmas, the Christmas week always seems to be that invisible line where the weather shifts from hot but ok to boiling and uncomfortable.