How the UK became the sick man of European tourism

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,750 times. The latest Post () was by Leftyhunter.

• This is not good. It sounds as if massive covid confusion plus removal of the VAT refund, plus the Brexit effect of now-necessary passports have combined with other factors to suppress tourism beyond normal reluctance to resume travel.

Governments can so easily shoot themselves in the foot. I hope the UK recognizes the self-inflicted wounds and makes some corrective changes.

• Isn't the UK an expensive country to visit as the pound is strong? While the UK may not be as dangerous as the US to visit it's not the safest country either. For the average tourist from say the Americas or East Asia the UK is arguably not the best value for the money.

Leftyhunter

• Isn't the UK an expensive country to visit as the pound is strong? While the UK may not be as dangerous as the US to visit it's not the safest country either. For the average tourist from say the Americas or East Asia the UK is arguably not the best value for the money.

Leftyhunter

Not all of the UK is expensive. Its just the major cities, especially ones that are modernising

• Leftyhunter , which countries would you point to as offering both safety and good value?

The US State Department rates Kyrgstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan as tier 1 safe countries safer then Western Europe. Poland and Hungary have fairly low crime rates.

Mexico is a mixed bag there are parts that are safe such has Mederia, Mexico that are much safer the many North American and West European cities but they do have some very dangerous cities and region's.

Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter , which countries would you point to as offering both safety and good value?

Crime Comparison Between Miami, FL, United States And Warsaw, Poland. Safety Comparison.

If safety and cost are a concern Warsaw beats Miami Florida quite a bit.

Leftyhunter

Not all of the UK is expensive. Its just the major cities, especially ones that are modernising

That could be but most tourists go to the big cities and England means London to most folks. Of course there are small towns but how many tourists go there?

Leftyhunter

Crime Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And Jerusalem, Israel. Safety Comparison.

So in terms of safety Jerusalem beats London easily but cost wise maybe a wash.

Leftyhunter

Crime Comparison Between Los Angeles, CA, United States And London, United Kingdom. Safety Comparison.

Los Angeles is a bit safer then London and the costs would be maybe a little less in LA.

Leftyhunter

• Safety as a travel concern has shifted from the traditional crime factors, to include covid: rate of spread, quality of hospital care, and per capita vaccination.

In the time of a pandemic, there are many places I’d rule out because I would not want to be hospitalized there. Until 2020, that thought never crossed my mind when making travel choices.

• Covid doesn't concern me because all one can do is get vaccinated and hope for the best. Covid most likely will always be with us just like Bubonic Plague. At least thirty percent of the population in the West just won't get vaccinated so Vivid will live forever and mutate endlessly.

Leftyhunter

• I would amend that a bit. Leftyhunter , and say “All one can do is get vaccinated, be smart about where one goes, and hope for the best.”

Because the western world has concentrated on its own vaccinations, many countries have had little or no access to vaccines or even COVID testing.

In our travels in other continents, we have visited hospitals with extremely low hygiene standards and very little 21st century technology or instruments. Not where one would like to be taken with respiratory or other serious problems.

• If one is concerned about health care for Covid then one should be concerned about health care overall. Covid is here to stay. If a country doesn't have acceptable health care then just don't go there regardless of Covid or just take a chance.

Danger is relative. I went on my Honeymoon in 1990 to El Salvador because that was where my wife is from during a vicious civil war not out of a sense being brave or adventurous.

I went there again in 1991 when the civil war was still ongoing. My wife and my kids have been going there for years. I told her it wasn't a good idea but she went anyway.

The UK is like anywhere else there are cities in the UK that are more dangerous by crime rates then the US and Mexico and some cities in the UK are less dangerous then some cities in the US and Mexico.

Belfast during the Troubles had half the per capita homicide rate of the US.

That's not to say Belfast was as safe as say Irvine and Valencia California during the Troubles just as a whole Belfast was still safer then many American big cities despite the the various terror groups.

Leftyhunter

List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade - Wikipedia

So on a per capita basis Northern Ireland was far more dangerous then the US from 1972 to 1976 but much less dangerous on a per capita homicide basis by 1978 and in the 1980s safer then the US. So safety go through stages. Today Medellin , Columbia is safer then some US cities vs the 1980s.

That doesn't mean certain parts of Columbia don't have Marxist guerrillas,Narcos and right wing death squads they do you just have to know where to go and where not to go.

Leftyhunter

• I had my car window smashed in Culver City one of the lowest crime cities in Los Angeles County and nothing was taken. If you can avoid living in a country without a car it's a blessing.

Now if you live in Argentina and own or rent a house they have a great dog breed the Dogo Argentina but you have to make friends with the local butcher cause they are not a small and dainty dog.

Leftyhunter