Food and drink

• Mothers day so we went and had lunch with the old yin. Eating out was a no no due to her age and anyway, her favourite restaurant was closed for lunch due to the virus. They still do a carry out service so the missus had ordered carre de cerdo the MIL's favourite dish and we picked it up on the way.

Have to say, despite having it once before many years ago, to me it wasn't all that memorable a dish so I've not had it since.

Today however I really enjoyed it, so much so I look forward to having it again soon. Only 650 pesos a portion which included a side portion of apple sauce.

20211017-123220.jpg

• New
    • Official Post

That looks really tasty!

We had an asado at the in laws and the mollejas were fab.

• That looks really tasty!

We had an asado at the in laws and the mollejas were fab.

That looks fab as well. :thumbup:

In the past I would have made a whole pork rib on the parrilla especially as it was such a lovely day. However as she's getting on a bit and her mobility isn't great we decided it would have been too much hassle for her. I was surprised the restaurant wasn't open as all the other places we passed were packed. It worked out alright anyway.

• We had our first big family get-together in 20 months or so, maybe longer.

Normally, we are 50 people, but today only 26 and well distanced and outside on the upstairs terrace.

Some people wore masks others didn't - but distances were fairly well maintained

No kisses but some very light hugs between the ladies.

Good to see everyone - some of the relatives are in their early eighties . All in good shape - fairly good day.

The next one will be Christmas, providing things stay as they are.

I will report if there are any illnesses or infections.

• Ah - I forgot about your air fryer. Since that last came up, I’ve tasted air-fried potatoes, which were tasty and had crunch that approximated the texture of oil-fried ones.

Until very recently, I turned down any steak not grilled on a fire. But we tried dry-grilling a steak in a heavy iron skillet, similar to a plancha, and found it juicy and delicious.

• Ah - I forgot about your air fryer. Since that last came up, I’ve tasted air-fried potatoes, which were tasty and had crunch that approximated the texture of oil-fried ones.

Until very recently, I turned down any steak not grilled on a fire. But we tried dry-grilling a steak in a heavy iron skillet, similar to a plancha, and found it juicy and delicious.

The longer you use a plancha the better they get.

My mate here likes showing off his asado skills. He once made chips on the BBQ the traditional way using melted beef suet in a metal pan. They tasted okay but it's one hell of a faff.

• I can imagine. I’ve done chips on the grill with olive oil, but always start with double the number we really need, since some are always burned, some are underdone, and some fall into the fire.