The grossest thread

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ben.

• Not to stir the forum, but cleaning and hygiene are cultural aspects that definitely could have a foreigner raise a brow and it is time we discuss this.

What struck you most?

Me: people seem to take personal hygiene very seriously, they often smell like they have showered 5 minutes ago, women often wear fruity perfume in abundance.

However, there is a lot of people sitting on the sidewalks or bus or train cars -- children, adults, teenagers, youngsters, elders. This somehow clashes with the first part of this paragraph, to my eyes.

People wearing flip-flops seem not to care if they are walking among garbage. I expected people walking almost barefoot to be more concerned about the cleanliness of the curb, but it looks like it is the opposite, indeed!:scratchead:

• I stick to two or three fragrance which I normally purchase in Spain.

There is one office where I go once a month and the receptionist tells the ladies , " Here is the guy that smells lovely !"

Makes me feel good for the rest of the day !!

Made the mistake of telling Mrs GJ and as she knows the CEO of the company , she makes sure she gets invited for lunch when I am there.

Marking territory?

• I have been wearing the same fragrance for a decade, and this was made on purpose. It should have been my signature fragrance. But somehow it smells too strong here and I rarely wear it in Argentina. It is just not culturally appropriate.

• No 3 Improve malt whisky exports from Scotland to Argentina

Let's talk about sharing your whiskey glass with other people...

I just found out that you can drink mate at cafes now. I have been assured that they wash the bombilla between clients, but you do share it across your table. It couldn't get weirder than that!

A lady friend of mine, who teaches Italian in a private school, said that in her school there was an epidemic because teachers and staff shared mate.

• Let's talk about sharing your whiskey glass with other people...

I just found out that you can drink mate at cafes now. I have been assured that they wash the bombilla between clients, but you do share it across your table. It couldn't get weirder than that!

A lady friend of mine, who teaches Italian in a private school, said that in her school there was an epidemic because teachers and staff shared mate.

I'll have to say that, unfriendly as this might sound, sharing a bombilla has always given me pause.

• I still remember when at the language class I was taking for free (I was the sole student, as it was practice class for aspiring teacher of Spanish as a second language) they made a lesson on mate and afterward we had to share it... I had to sip it. Still haunts me to day.

• A friend brought a bottle of Glenmorangie one evening on a visit. Two things transpired: he's now even a better friend, and there's always a bottle of Glenmorangie in the cabinet.

...which, presumably, you and your friends do not drink through a bombilla.

Moral of the story: if you are going to drink mate with others, chase it with scotch to kill the germs.