Argentine builders....a positive experience!!

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,040 times. The latest Post () was by Carlos.

• We've had the builders in all this week converting part of next door into a garage. Just wanted to say Jose and his team have been superb and worked like trojans. Despite the awful weather work is ahead of schedule and will be completed before the end of next week. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

To add...the wife usually does most of the talking with them. However as she's been out this morning it's been left to me. Jose wanted to practice his English and much to my surprise it's pretty good. :thumbup: Far better than my woeful Spanish.

• Many bolivians and paraguayans builders are most common here. Even they work better than the few argentines who also are inside the construction

guild. Perhaps is the wicked effect of the generous subsidies to poverty that this obnoxious government give to the so called "poors". Do not forget that the government

likes to have more poors to become "clients" in the latin sense of the term, i.e. captured people. The best way to get votes.

• The men who painted our house were outstanding. Quick, efficient, professional and most of all, extremely polite, as are most Argentines.

Would call them again.

All our guys are Argentine as well.

Bolivians are hard grafters however I've been told the quality of their work is suspect. Not their fault it's the contractors who employ them.

• I’m glad you’ve both had good experiences with Argentine contractors.

When New Orleans was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina 16 years ago (just before we landed at EZE for the first time!), it was hard working Mexican workers who put the city back together. That ended, in that one city, the kind of “rapists and murderers” bigotry held by some Americans, and earned Mexican builders much respect in the city.

It would be nice if the Bolivian and Paraguayan workers could stamp out the “lazy workers, poor workmanship” prejudice earned by some of their countrymen.

• It would be nice if the Bolivian and Paraguayan workers could stamp out the “lazy workers, poor workmanship” prejudice earned by some of their countrymen.

The problem seems to be the 'agents/contractors' who employ Bolivians. They know they're grafters and hiring them is cheaper than the locals so in order to undercut the competition in price that's who they employ. When I look closely at many new builds here I can see the flaws due to the finishing work being of such a poor standard.