The wing mirror

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,288 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

Our little ten year old Honda Fit (Jazz elsewhere) seems to have a huge red and white target stuck to it and has been bashed whilst parked in the street so often that I've lost count.

The wing mirror fell off of its own accord a couple of years ago and I kept sticking it back on with duct tape, promising myself ( and her indoors) that I'd get around to doing a proper job eventually.

Well, I finally took the door to pieces a month ago and finally fixed it back into place as the factory had always intended and stood back to admire my handiwork feeling quite smug actually.

Next day and I mean the very next fucking day, Adriana was driving to the shops and a lunatic in a Merc flashed past her so close that he actually clipped the reunited wing mirror, completely destroying it. She was more stirred than shaken and absolutely furious that the car had been hit yet again, whilst I buried my face in my hands hating every card river within a 1000km radius.

New wing mirror $1500

Paint new wing mirror $1000

Fit new wing mirror $sweat, maybe some blood and some cursing

:cursing:

• Many times these kinds of mirror breakings are due to the motorcycle drivers, who usually wish to get their way when the car traffic stops. The normal distance between cars is about 40 or 50 centimeters, but they stubbornly try to pass you in that extremely narrow gap. And the worst is that when the damage was done, they escape. I personally hate the motorcycle drivers. The worst guys in the traffic of BA.

Other who I do not like are the bicycle drivers, especially when they form groups and use the whole width of the lane. The do not respect any traffic light nor other rules. When they use their pointed helmets, they look so ugly and aggresive as hideous insects.

But beware of having any accident with them. Since they have the minor vehicle, the Law assumes that you are guilty because you are protected by the bulk and body of your car. A typical peronist law, made to protect the wickest and to pursue the honest drivers, who had a plate in their cars and can easily be indentified. Bicyles have no identification plates.

• Official Post

Other who I do not like are the bicycle drivers, especially when they form groups and use the whole width of the lane. The do not respect any traffic light nor other rules. When they use their pointed helmets, they look so ugly and aggressive as hideous insects.

In Palermo I started cycling. We have a EcoBici station two blocks away and we also have our own bike (just one, though). I rode along the bike lanes, but I saw that riders here do not stop at intersection and run on red lights. WTF? I stopped and another biker promptly missed me and went through. What's wrong with these people?!

Now I'd rather ride anywhere, bike lanes are for crazy bike-freaks who thinks they are invincible.

• Official Post

But our beloved wing mirror was terminated by a Mercedes, ergo some fat cat nouveau-riche perhaps?

Still, being a motorcycle rider myself...cough, cough...I'm guilty as charged and will filter through the traffic to get to the front of the queue every single time. I am however very careful NOT to clip other vehicles.

I too have a bicycle and frankly I find it too dangerous to ride here.

• In Palermo I started cycling. We have a EcoBici station two blocks away and we also have our own bike (just one, though). I rode along the bike lanes, but I saw that riders here do not stop at intersection and run on red lights. WTF? I stopped and another biker promptly missed me and went through. What's wrong with these people?!

Now I'd rather ride anywhere, bike lanes are for crazy bike-freaks who thinks they are invincible.

When Argentines climb into, or mount, wheeled vehicles, they know that they are protected by a mysterious Invincibility Shield that keeps them from all harm, especially that harm caused by extreme stupidity. The exhortation of the Patron Saint of Invincibility is "do what the hell you want - they have to get out of your way!"

Sometimes he goes off on a break.

• I agree. For me is a shame, as I am from this country. For you is only a keen observation.

Carlos, please don't feel responsible for bad acts by every living or dead Argentine person. Look at the way the rest of ourselves emotionally divorce ourselves from any of our own fellow countrymen who turn out to be thoughtless, greedy, boastful, sociopathic, selfish, egotistical gasbags. We feel only revulsion, not shame on their behalf.

• Yes, you are right. But these specific behaviours are seldom seen in Denmark, Germany or Sweden. I have a dream, (like Martin Luther King)that my country will be like those countries.

Likewise, I have a dream that my own country will quit behaving like a true shithole country, and will rejoin the World Community.

It is perhaps more likely that your dream will be realized than that mine will be, @ Carlos !

• I do not think that the USA is a shithole country. It simply has a temporal nuisance, things will recover quickly as Mr Trump leaves the position of a President. You have a long, respectable tradition with FDR, JFK and recently with Obama, and early George Washington, Jefferson and also Ike Eisenhower.

Look what is the power of the Congress now. They are putting a lot of obstacles to Mr Trump.

+

• Official Post

Yes, you are right. But these specific behaviours are seldom seen in Denmark, Germany or Sweden. I have a dream, (like Martin Luther King)that my country will be like those countries.

I think that the moment Argentines stop thinking like this is when the country can finally move on.

It's getting really tired now...