Argentina weather

There are 1,495 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 131,893 times. The latest Post () was by SpaceNut.

• Official Post

@JAN

That's a little harsh, actually.

The weather forecasts here are remarkably accurate, which is no mean feat considering that most of the severe weather here is down to thunderstorms, which are notoriously difficult to pinpoint accurately.

On the other hand, Western European weather is easier to forecast due to the prevailing weather coming from the Atlantic. Weather radar has helped enormously, but guess what? Most of France doesn't even have weather radar.

• Maybe a lot depends upon the source as well. When I use Weather.com, I find I might as well throw a dart.

I'm always really impressed at the way people here seem to know with a high degree of certainty, just when it is going to rain. In the US, we have learned to translate the forecast. That is, when we have a 20% chance of rain, that usually means no rain. But the forecasters rarely will say "no rain."

• Splinter ....

I really dont find weather prediction very accurate........

The most important for me in the prediction is WHEN......and not if....

To say it's gonna rain, is for sure correct, question is WHEN! 8 hour difference or more means a lot!!!!

As serafina said, sometimes it's raining cats n dogs and forecast say it's sunny, (for that particular spot.....not Mar del Plata or jujuy).

Just the last 10 days here have been forecasted terrible..... election weekend sunday gonna rain like hell.......nearly not a drop.....this Sunday totally wrong also and yesterday partly wrong.

If you google which places with which character that are hard to predict, Buenos Aires is not included, but several places I have lived, where the prediction was quite accurate.

But thank God in December we will have the best team in the world predicting everything here in the country........ hahaha

• Maybe a lot depends upon the source as well. When I use Weather.com, I find I might as well throw a dart.

I'm always really impressed at the way people here seem to know with a high degree of certainty, just when it is going to rain. In the US, we have learned to translate the forecast. That is, when we have a 20% chance of rain, that usually means no rain. But the forecasters rarely will say "no rain."

Yes the source is all important. I don't totally rely on Accuweather I also use a couple of others and I'm surprised how much they can all differ at times.

The countryside guys who rent our land seem to know the signs. A couple of months ago I noticed they were hard at it ploughing the land and seeding during a prolonged dry spell. A few days later we had 70mm of rain which the experts hadn't been predicting.

The west coast of Scotland they say is tough to forecast due to the Atlantic, wind direction and the mountain terrain. 'Showery' is a safe bet as it usually is 300 days of the year. ^^

• Weather.com has to be the worst. Last night I checked today’s weather and it said full sun, all day. We hadn’t walked 2 km from home when the sprinkles started.

it was only a small drizzle that didn’t last long, but it wasn’t exactly full sun. Unless sunshine now comes in liquid form.

• Rice

Same here by me in tigre......was supposed to be clear sky n sunny........it seriously look more like thunder is coming here at the moment.......

And that was prediction from last night, not a week ago....

(I use a weather app on phone, google I think)

• My wife after seeing the forecast had to cancel the builders today who were going to do some roof work ....chance of thunderstorms it said. Although cloudy most of the day we only had a few drops of rain.

It allowed me to get a badly needed haircut so some good came of it. ^^

• Hell of a night with thunderstorms one thunderbolt was especially loud. This morning found that both TV's don't have the cable signal. The wife phoned Cablevision and they don't have any other reports of problems in our area so it looks as if the lightning strike may be the cause.

They can't come out to have a look until Monday. The wife isn't happy!! =O

• We watch only BBC World and CNN International for the news. On weekends they seem to run hourlong programs principally about Asia and Africa, often repeated. So after the morning news, we turn it off and get moving outside.

• Feeling rather proud of myself after getting both TV's connected to cable TV again. No idea how I did it but unplugging and plugging cables of all sorts, lots of patience, wishful thinking and a lot of luck worked. The missus is impressed.

• It is an impressive feat! What is your next tech project?

To repeat what I did the next time it breaks down after a storm. ^^

According to Nazarena - the MIL's carer - it's all to do with the software used in the cable boxes...the storm may have affected it so it has to download and reprogramme itself via the wifi which sounds plausible. Maybe my tinkering with the plugs and cables helped it in some way.

• Official Post

To repeat what I did the next time it breaks down after a storm. ^^

According to Nazarena - the MIL's carer - it's all to do with the software used in the cable boxes...the storm may have affected it so it has to download and reprogramme itself via the wifi which sounds plausible. Maybe my tinkering with the plugs and cables helped it in some way.

It happened once here, but after a technical issue that lasted for the whole weekend. It was weird because the Wifi was on, the box showed the internet was working but in reality it had reset itself and the network name was back to default (we use to name our Wifi Network)