Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,897 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• No doubt that some on Twitter are calling him ‘a pedo’, when he was just being near the Queen, when she was 13. As per usual, they never get the whole story, just allegations because of their virtue signalling

• If we are totally honest some people did call him a racist and a misogynist. He put his foot in it with some comments on overseas trips which if we are being polite were not anywhere close to being politically correct.

The big question is will QE2 only be allowed to invite 50 relatives to the funeral like the rest of the UK population?

Always good to see an Argie side to every story.

Infobae has found a story about a possible Argentine lover a few years back.

https://www.infobae.com/socied…cipe-felipe-de-edimburgo/

• GlasgowJohn , are you referring to some of these remarks?

In her book “The Wicked Wit of Prince Philip,” the author Karen Dolby writes, “Prince Philip has not always been popular with liberals. But then he’s never tried to be.”

During his long life in a very public role, it’s hard to think of a group of people he did not offend — at home or abroad.

Here are some of his more notorious comments:

During a 1986 visit to China, he told a British student: “If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes.”

To a driving instructor in Scotland in 1995, he said: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?”

He once asked President Barack Obama, who was talking about world leaders, “Can you tell the difference between them?”

When he shook hands with Malala Yousafzai, the Nobel Peace Prize winner who campaigns for education rights, he could be heard saying: “There’s one thing about children going to school: They go to school because their parents don’t want them in the house.”

During a trip to Canada in 1976: “We don’t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves.”

To a group of female Labour Party lawmakers during a reception at Buckingham Palace: “Ah, so this is feminist corner then.”

Speaking to the Welsh singer Tom Jones after his Royal Variety performance: “What do you gargle with? Pebbles?”

To residents of the Cayman Islands, he said: “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?”

During a trip to a Bangladeshi youth club in central London in 2002: “So who’s on drugs here? … He looks as if he’s on drugs.”

During a 2002 visit to Australia, he asked a group of Indigenous Australians: “Do you still throw spears at each other?”

On a 1963 trip to Paraguay, he told military dictator General Alfredo Stroessner, “It’s a pleasure to be in a country that isn’t ruled by its people.”

When he met Nigeria’s president, who was wearing traditional robes, he declared: “You look like you are ready for bed.”

He asked the actor Simon Pegg, at the London premiere of “The Chronicles of Narnia,” “When did you first realize you had the voice of a mouse?”

During a 2010 visit to the United Arab Emirates, the duke asked a group of expats: “Are you running away from something?”

He told the Australian comedian Adam Hills, who has a prosthetic foot: “You could smuggle a bottle of gin out of the country in that artificial foot.”

After looking at businessman Atul Patel’s name badge at a reception at the palace for British Indians, the duke said: “There’s a lot of your family in tonight.”

On a visit to north London, he asked a disabled man on a mobility scooter: “How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?”

At a reception at Buckingham Palace, he asked Stoke-on-Trent lawmaker Joan Walley what area she represented. When she said “Stoke,” the duke replied: “Ghastly place, isn’t it?”

On his daughter, Princess Anne: “If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.”

(NYT)

• Must admit I really didn't know that much about him.....I was never really interested to be honest. However since his death was announced I've been watching the BBC footage about him. He had an extraordinary early life.
    As for his clumsy humour....good for him I say. We're all guilty of doing it at times so at least it shows he was human!!

I'd hate to be a 'royal'.

• Must admit I really didn't know that much about him.....I was never really interested to be honest. However since his death was announced I've been watching the BBC footage about him. He had an extraordinary early life.
    As for his clumsy humour....good for him I say. We're all guilty of doing it at times so at least it shows he was human!!

I'd hate to be a 'royal'.

The virtue signallers on Twitter are unbelievable, they brand him a Nazi simply for attending the funeral of his sister. Had he not attended, he would have been a "misogynistic sister beater, who hated women"

• The virtue signallers on Twitter are unbelievable, they brand him a Nazi simply for attending the funeral of his sister. Had he not attended, he would have been a "misogynistic sister beater, who hated women"

Social media is full of silly arses.....Philip probably said that to Jack Dorsey if he ever met him!! ^^

• The fawning of the Royal Family sycophants on one side and the viciousness of the Royal Family haters on the other are equally unedifying. In death, we are all equal and both sides need to show a bit of dignity.

I must confess to being a bit of a republican and can’t see why the UK needs a Royal Family and certainly can’t see why they get special treatment not afforded to the rest of us mere mortals.

Philip, the so-called Duke of Edinburgh, a title given to him for free, was not a nice person. He didn’t like people from different countries and often made comments that were totally uncalled for. The surname Mountbatten was also given to him for free – his family was a mixture of Greeks and German and lived close to the German – Danish border. His original name was Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glücksburg. He changed this to the much more British Philip Mountbatten in 1947, just before he married the Queen, and gave up his claims to the Greek and Danish thrones.

Making comments about people’s eyes, skin colour and body shapes is not remotely amusing in my book and we should never have allowed him the excuse of, “It’s just banter”

There have been consistent rumours that members of his family were actively conniving with Hitler and his cronies and played both sides until it was clear the UK/US/Russian alliance was going to win the day. Philip’s sisters were married to prominent Nazis and didn’t attend their brother’s wedding. The real reason was never revealed.

Should we be totally reverent to him just because he was married to the Queen – a person who he met by accident when he was a naval officer?

• Should we be totally reverent to him just because he was married to the Queen – a person who he met by accident when he was a naval officer?

I don't give a stuff about the Royal Family to be honest. Then again I can't be arsed with most of the worlds 'celebrities' including the Pope. However, millions of others do which is okay by me. I've got other far more important things to flippin' worry about....living here doesn't exactly help!! ^^

• I agree, there is enough evidence to suggest he was more than just a bumbling man who you could brush aside as being from another era. I don't get why he is being lauded but also don't really see the point in going after him now he's dead. My position is the Royal Family is a waste of time, increasingly so. I have no real dislike for any of them, I just disagree with the concept of a "ruling" family in the 21st century. UK Man is correct, though, Philip led a very fascinating life.

• Semigoodlooking , perhaps the importance of the royal family is that they are a glamorous and quaint throwback to earlier centuries, and a boon to tourism?

I don't really think tourists visit the UK to see the royal family. I know that people visit Buckingham Palace and other royal residences but it would seem to be more of a side trip than anything else. As UK Man says the day that Liz passes, there will be a major change in people's attitudes. Young Andy has got away with all sorts of misbehavior and some people have largely ignored it up til now.

• Tourists love all the Royal pomp & circumstance. Changing of the Guard. Royal Jewels in the Tower. Queen Mary’s doll house at Windsor Castle. The chance to be part of the crowd and catch a glimpse, at the Queen’s birthday, Royal weddings, Jubilees, etc.

Someone good at digging can find the £ figure, but Royalty-inspired tourism must be worth billions every year.

• Tourists love all the Royal pomp & circumstance. Changing of the Guard. Royal Jewels in the Tower. Queen Mary’s doll house at Windsor Castle. The chance to be part of the crowd and catch a glimpse, at the Queen’s birthday, Royal weddings, Jubilees, etc.

Someone good at digging can find the £ figure, but Royalty-inspired tourism must be worth billions every year.

Yes it's a big tourist draw and always will be even without the Royal family.