Pubs closing for good but new barber shops opening.

• The Shamrock , probably the first proper pub in Bs As has announced its closing for good.

Last week, Kilkenny announced it was closing its door as well.

Probably a sign of the damage that Covid has done to the leisure and entertainment business and also a sign of the economic malaise.

VERY SAD NEWS ...

• Some venues are indoor and crowded by their very nature, and they have perished. But here in Palermo Soho I am seeing more new places opening up with outdoor seating. My opinion is that there isn't much social activity to do anymore besides having a drink / meal with friends outdoor, so cafes and restaurants with a nice outdoor setting are on demand.

Dark, closed and small capacity places are bound to disappear... at least for a few years.

When we were finally allowed to go out in late October (if I recall correctly), we drove through Palermo Soho and it was a ghost neighborhood. A lot of 'for rent' / 'for sale' signs, places closed and just a few brave ones with a delivery only option and the shutter halfway to signal 'delivery only'. Now it is lively again, and crowded all nights and weekends with locals.

On contrast, Microcentro is sad and ghost town... Public offices are closed, but embassies are open, so do couriers and some private offices. However, the various food places for office workers have closed, and clothing store. Most open places are office supply stores and kioskos, plus some brave coffee places.

• It seems so sad that, in the hope of recovery, so many places held out as long as they could, finally pulling the plug after an impossible year.

It is the small, dark places that I’ll miss the most.

• Here where I am there seems to be a new pub opening every few weeks.....very strange if you ask me.

I don't know about your area specifically, but the places popping up all over the place are bars, not pubs. The bars are aiming for cool culture along with the new slew of barber shops. Give me a traditional pub anyday.

• I don't know about your area specifically, but the places popping up all over the place are bars, not pubs. The bars are aiming for cool culture along with the new slew of barber shops. Give me a traditional pub anyday.

True...they do seem to be full of young ones. They're obviously the ones with money to spend.

• ... or aren’t tight as a tick, and enjoy spending what they have!

I don't blame them. It's a waste of time having a piggy bank here anyway

yip both places were virtually indoor venues

Good point. I've noticed the new venues opening up here all have an outside patio area with plenty of seating.

Edited once, last by UK Man: Merged a post created by UK Man into this post. ().

• A new barber shop around the corner, named Don Giovanni (ahaha!), is offering a can of Coke with a hair cut Mo-Thu.

They aren't targeting British expats, that's clear. ^^

Any chance of a wee tot of rum in the coke?

A new barber shop around the corner, named Don Giovanni (ahaha!), is offering a can of Coke with a hair cut Mo-Thu.

They aren't targeting British expats, that's clear. ^^

Any chance of a wee tot of rum in the coke?

• I've been going to the same bloke for years to get my haircut....I go about every four months. He lives just down the road and has his shop in the front room of his house. Think during one extremely hot day he offered me some water but as it's not my choice of tipple I declined. He's cheap and quick which does me.