baexpats.org a con?

There are 100 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,261 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• One thing to consider is that, as much as we all can criticize our own countries or our mothers, we really aren’t neutral about outsiders’ saying anything critical about either of them.

But sometimes we are polite and pretend not to mind.

(I’m speaking only to the question of Argentines’ not objecting to negative comments about their country. An expats forum is a completely different kettle of fish, of course.)

• One thing to consider is that, as much as we all can criticize our own countries or our mothers, we really aren’t neutral about outsiders’ saying anything critical about either of them.

But sometimes we are polite and pretend not to mind.

(I’m speaking only to the question of Argentines’ not objecting to negative comments about their country. An expats forum is a completely different kettle of fish, of course.)

Well of course. In real life I tend not to make negative comments anyway when amongst Argentine friends. They on the other hand are forever complaining. ^^ Plus it's not really a good idea for born and bred locals to inhabit a forum for Expats who like to express an opinion on how the country is run. I suspect that's part of the problem.

They could have flagged your IP address, which is why it loads in a private window.

All a bit over the top really.

• Have you tried a different browser and/or device. You are still "registered" there but I am not sure they display if someone is banned.

I wonder if they know you also post here so are blocking you purely out of spite. Either way, childish feckers.

Your suggestion worked. :thumbup: I was able to log on using Chrome and so far so good, all seems to be working. Strange thing is it won't let me see my posting history or allow access into my message box.

• Official Post

Your suggestion worked. :thumbup: I was able to log on using Chrome and so far so good, all seems to be working. Strange thing is it won't let me see my posting history or allow access into my message box.

You must be pleased that you don't get that kind of authoritarian behaviour in this forum UK Man .

We just don't do that kind of Soviet stuff here.

• I just found this thread after being banned from the other site (after being a member for many years; it has interest to me specifically for its information on transferring money to Argentina, something which is always changing).

Someone called me a loser.

I responded that that was a compliment coming from him. That's all I did.

The next day, I noticed that I was being censored, my messages started being deleted, and I couldn't send PMs.

Yesterday I sent a message to the admin saying that if they wanted to censor me, I'd stop contributing and I'd only read the site content.

This morning I got a message that my IP was banned.

I found this thread by doing a Google search about the other site (even though I'm a member here; I don't visit the forums much, even that other one, because I've been here 18 years, and so I only have questions from time to time).

Anyway, I was furious, but I feel much better after reading all the comments here. (Misery loves company.) It's also nice to see here the names of many of the good people that I remember from the other site.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but if I was going to write this at all, it belongs here.

• This forum is a relaxed and friendly place because we enjoy each other’s company and are genuinely interested in what other members have to say.

I never understood the eagerness of people “Over There” to find fault and attack each other. And I can’t begin to fathom the God Complex of the administrator.

Glad you found us, amigoartistico .

And @Bombonera , thank you for the reminder -

Most forums end up like that place but somehow this forum continues to stay relaxed and friendly.
    And of course the obligation is on us all to keep it that way!
    Best wishes.

• Thanks for letting us know about your recent experience at the other place amigoartistico

While I'm not entirely surprised by the way you've been treated over there, it still amazes me that the members tolerate this kind of repressive behaviour from the administrator.

As I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread, I was a member there from 2006 and got banned three times, which is why I set up this forum a few years ago.

This post illustrates the kind of methods used, not least the draconian terms and conditions. Even questioning those T&Cs is an offence.

By the way, my handle over there was Gringoboy and in spite of being one of the most popular posters, I was still banned, which just goes to show that in order to remain untouched by the Russian, you have to toe the line.

PS

My nefarious post from Dec 2017 on the other place advertising this forum with a short-link is still up from which I derive some amusement :)

Where Are The Expats Now
    The site is now brand new and relaunched. Give it a try! https://goo.gl/Еb8НF4
    baexpats.org

Hurry before it gets taken down!

• Helpful

I am on parole over there: I cannot send PMs because I have less than 9999999 posts or some other b****

This was because I mentioned other online expat venues (this forum, but also FB groups) both in public posts and in personal messages. In one instance, it was for good cause (someone flagged her brother as missing in Buenos Aires, so I suggested other venues where to look for him).

• I am on parole over there: I cannot send PMs because I have less than 9999999 posts or some other b****

This was because I mentioned other online expat venues (this forum, but also FB groups) both in public posts and in personal messages. In one instance, it was for good cause (someone flagged her brother as missing in Buenos Aires, so I suggested other venues where to look for him).

What's a little autoritarismo among friends? Be careful, serafina, he could still be watching you from over there, and adding years to your parole.

• They are missing out, not me ;)

After so many censorships, long-time expats and their wisdom are gone! The forum (and also the country, in part), are not anymore what they used to be.

Are you living in Capital, amigoartistico ?

Yes, I've been living in San Telmo since 2004. It's had it's ups and downs, but it's really good right now. They just completely reconstructed my street with cobblestones and street lamps, and barriers to prevent parking, and it's beautiful. And no more colectivos and no more cuidacoches, and very little traffic. It's quite amazing. They've (mostly) replaced the borrachos with tourists. It's become the nicest street in San Telmo after years of being horrible.