Covid-19 vaccine

There are 87 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,705 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• I wouldn’t object to a vaccine passport either; indeed, it would give me some sense of relief that the coughing person seated 12 inches from my face might possibly not be a QAnon Anti-Vaxxer Insurrectionist Nutcase who thinks laws of science and disease don’t apply to HIM/HER.

But it won’t happen because it is decidedly against the best interest of big business. Why would Disney World want to limit its customers, eliminating those who refuse to be vaccinated? Why would airlines and stadiums and theaters want to draw from a smaller pool?

A vaccine passport would be in the interest of the person buying the tickets, but definitely not in the interest of those selling the tickets. Which group has lobbyists who can influence legislation?

• As long as it doesn't give the excuse to a digital id card on the sly, not that I have anything to hide, I don't want to give my whereabouts to some nefarious police

As long as its temporary, I wouldn't mind, but you have to be wary that it could be that sly excuse to do so

• A lofty goal, though by the time the new plant can be built, that ship will have already arrived in Fiji.

If Argentina and the countries these half billion/yr doses are intended for, aren’t vaccinated soon, new variants will be gaining a foothold. Planning for the future is commendable. But what is Argentina doing to get vaccine NOW?

• President Biden is expected to announce tonight that the US will share an additional 60 million doses of vaccine with other countries. Because the US is still waiting for FDA clearance to use the Oxford-Astra-Zeneca vaccine, it is imperative that they get this spread to countries which have already cleared it and can use it NOW.

I wish they could all be directed to Argentina.

https://www.washingtonpost.com…JCo5Jgt-RAaR63qbS_uSEu4aU

• In the Washington Post today:

“Moderna will sell vaccine to a campaign backed by the World Health Organization, supplying up to 500 million doses of its coronavirus vaccine starting late this year and giving a much-needed boost to a global initiative that has been plagued by inequity, funding shortfalls and a severe supply crunch.

The agreement, announced Monday soon after the WHO approved the company’s messenger RNA vaccine for emergency use, comes amid growing calls for both vaccine-makers and wealthy nations to do more to address the vaccination gap between rich countries and the rest of the world.

Following announcements from New Zealand and France, the United States said last week that it will share up to 60 million doses with other countries under as-yet-unknown terms. On Monday, Sweden said it will give 1 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to the WHO’s Covax effort to “help address immediate-term supply delays.”

The news comes as U.S. officials remain splitover how to vaccinate the world, with some urging the White House to back an international proposal to waive drug company patents for coronavirus vaccines.

The Moderna deal is good news for vaccine access — but comes relatively late.

Richer countries fare better in vaccine rollout

The two-dose vaccine demonstrated a 94.1 percent efficacy rate against covid-19 in clinical trials, one of the highest of all the vaccines in use. It has also shown high effectiveness against new variants, particularly the one first detected in Britain.

However, the deal will do little to alleviate short- and medium-term supply concerns. Under the agreement, the company will work with Covax to supply 34 million doses at its “lowest tiered price” by the end of 2021, with the option for 466 million shots available in 2022.”

• Back from the hospital after getting vaccinated. They ran out of AstraZeneca yesterday so we were given the Sputnik instead. The lovely ladies were excited to have me there...'you'll only feel a small prick'' one said!!

• Hmmm - did you ask how they knew your reputation, UK Man !?

Here’s good news for India, Africa, South America, in this morning’s NYT:

“The Biden administration also announced Wednesday it supports temporarilyremoving intellectual property protections for coronavirus vaccines. The U.S. will proceed with international negotiations to waive those protections.

• That’s good. But why the repeated references to the Little Prick?

One associates the prick of the needle as being the most painful part of being vaccinated. I had expected it to be more painful than it was. Happy to report there's no bruising,swelling, soreness or other side effects this morning. :thumbup:

• I hope they gave you a reward for being a brave fellow, UK Man !

In the US, there are pockets of people who are “vaccination resistant,” who may very well prevent the country from ever reaching herd immunity. Reasons vary from being completely anti-vaxxers to being afraid of needles to distrust of absolutely anything the govt recommends. There are also the tinfoil hat people who are convinced the vaccine contains electronic tracking devices (I am not making this up -)

To entice holdouts to get with the program, a few states are now offering $100 to anyone who gets both doses. Various companies are giving a free coffee or pastry to those who get with the program. In New Orleans, there’s a strip joint offering free admission and a drink. (“Honey, I’ll be home late tonight; I’m going out to get another vaccination!”)