Quote of the week

There are 25 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,219 times. The latest Post () was by GlasgowJohn.

• Today from the minster of employment, Kelly Olmos who, like most Argentines who don't have to worry about 100% inflation, consider the world cup to be a welcome relief from the troubles of the country.

Then we continue to work on inflation, but first we want Argentina to win," she said, and continued: "I think we have to work all the time on inflation, but one month is not going to make a big difference. On the other hand, from an emotional point of view, from the point of view of what it means for Argentines as a whole, we want Argentina to win".

• <snip>

Paraguay has annual inflation at 8%, a country with far less resources that Argentina which has a monthly inflation rate of 5%.

You are right, Splinter and I think there are at least two things here: the fewer resouces and opportunities - which lead so many Paraguagos to leave the country to look for work elsewhere - and the much higher rural population (over 35% compared with fewer than 10% in Argentina) who live at a subsistence level in the countryside. Not recently, but I have been to Paraguay several times, living for short periods amongst the rural poor in their Misiones province and although I have never tried to live in an Argentine Villa Miseria my perception is that rural Paraguagos are subsisting at a much lower level. In my opinion, the almost complete lack of money that I've noticed in rural communities (I've seen a lot of barter and people generally helping each other out) helps to drag inflation down

• Helpful

I visist Paraguay 3 or 4 times a year.

Asuncion is a vibrant capital - lots of construction work, building offices and housing.

I also visit Ciudad del Este and Pedro Juan Caballero.

CDE Is looking a lot better than it did 5 years ago.

PJC is fine but parts of the town are controlled by the narcos and it can be a little bit like the wild west.

They are working bloody hard at improving things .

No handouts from the government though but they do help each other to get things done.