Draconian new monetary controls from Wednesday

There are 85 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,314 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Bloody crazy situation....

A friend had an interview for a job this week .

Salary quoted in dollars converted at the rate of exchange of th last day of the month.

He asked for it to be paid into his European bank account in Dollars Or Euros....

They are negotiating .....

• Official Post

I am debating with my husband whether we should be proactive and buy a new aircon unit, since our old one goes from zero to Greenland and the fan is not adjustable (it is the one in the bedroom, so it blows on the mattress directly).

I would also like a silver refrigerator for the kitchen. The issue is that selling old stuff has become harder. There isn't much money to spare nowadays.

• I am debating with my husband whether we should be proactive and buy a new aircon unit, since our old one goes from zero to Greenland and the fan is not adjustable (it is the one in the bedroom, so it blows on the mattress directly).

I would also like a silver refrigerator for the kitchen. The issue is that selling old stuff has become harder. There isn't much money to spare nowadays.

You basically have to sell to get rid of items now, which means selling for a low price. We just sold two kids bikes well below what they are worth just because I am tired of them lying around. If you drop the price 1000 or 2000 pesos below what the general price for your model is on Mercardolibre, you just find buyers quick. Facebook Marketplace is better for shifting things quickly, imo.

• Official Post

You basically have to sell to get rid of items now, which means selling for a low price. We just sold two kids bikes well below what they are worth just because I am tired of them lying around. If you drop the price 1000 or 2000 pesos below what the general price for your model is on Mercardolibre, you just find buyers quick. Facebook Marketplace is better for shifting things quickly, imo.

My husband is the one in charge of selling and he has a spreadsheet to keep track of all the ads he publishes and where. He posts on several FB selling groups (about 20), on FB Marketplace, ML etc.

Some things, like language learning/teaching books, are obviously slow right now. But I was surprised to see that even basic stuff is not going if it costs more than 4,000 ARS, which is worth less and less as the days go by. Is the economic advantage of a strong dollar worth underselling used stuff? Probably!

When we moved in, the place was furnished and we had to sell most of the stuff that was here. We got rid of half over the weekend doing a "Vendo todo por mudanza" ad on several FB groups. We raised a good amount of money, I think we got more than 500 USD back then! Right now, 4,000 ARS or 28 USD is already too much for an ordinary item. (Unless it is a collectible or electronics).

Another example: our Dyson vacuum cleaner apparently died a couple of months ago. No service has spares for Dyson, so we bought a new Black & Decker on ML for 108 USD. We tried to sell the dead-Dyson for spares, but obviously nobody was interested.

My husband had a lucky intuition... what if it was the new Argentinian plug we had installed on the Dyson? He was right!

Our Dyson was alive and well, and the plug screw was loose.

So we had two vacuum cleaners... and the 1-month-old Black & Decker, now costing 14,000 ARS new, got sold for 9,000 ARS. We were requesting 11,000 and we rejected a couple of offers for 10,000, but the more we waited, the less we would be making. So after sitting two weeks in the living room, we accepted the first new offer (9,000 ARS).

All in all, it cost us about 30 USD not thinking about the plug immediately. I was the one being picky on the price on the B&D, but for a combination of weird reasons (the exchange rate going up, the price on ML for the new item being slightly reduced by the reseller) the new model was costing even less than we bought it, so we had to sell it for even less.

Trying to navigate the Argentinian market is like trying to walk on an inflated mattress... very wobbly!

• Official Post

I just get exhausted trying to decide which day I pay the credit card bills...

When we moved here, my husband's grandfather literally fathered him into accounting the Argentinian way. We adopted a huge spreadsheet where my husband keeps the family accounting: money in, money out, categories of spending, exchange rates, methods of payment. It is like a second job to me, but he assured me that it's worth the pain.

To be honest, over the years I have heard commentaries on 'savings' thanks to the dollar exchange basically every other week. During the Macri era, it was useful to make comparison of the costs in USD over the years.

Last week I had business downtown: however, October 1st marked new fees for many services. Hence, my cost estimate with my clients was based on the old fee, and I was quite pissed that the new fee with the provider was basically eating out all my margin. Needless to say, by Friday the exchange rate had changed so much that my margin was back in place!

I think we will start to see random price updates without even faking it is a quarterly or monthly update. With the cepo and the controlled price, the government is trying to keep a lid on the economy, but the soup is boiling hot!

• Official Post

Since Adri is an accountant, she keeps spreadsheets for everything. Her work life is dominated by spreadsheets so she has all our accounting down to the last penny and knows all the ins and outs of how to handle exchange rates, when to pay, when not to pay etc etc.

Having said that, the government's machinations are beyond even her accounting skills and believe me, AFIP (the inland revenue service) is not there to serve you, as is painfully obvious from the kind of work she does.

This would be me doing her job...

:smiley-killing-himself:

• In my next life, I am going to marry an accountant. Not BE one, mind you, just MARRY one.

My husband and I are both hopeless at accounts, without even adding the lead weight of the ever-changing value (?) of the peso. My hat is off to your spouses. And to you, serafina , for jumping right on that mechanical bull yourself.

• Official Post

Splinter , could you please cut & paste the article? Not a subscriber, I can’t get past the headline. Thanks!

Reproduced here:

https://technocodex.com/argent…rds-currency-devaluation/

• No good options here. Thanks for this good analysis of each possible path.

This observation stood out, and again raises questions about F&F lockdown motives:

“[The IMF is]. unlikely to demand tough austerity measures in return for assistance at a time when poverty has risen to more than 40 per cent due to the pandemic.”

• Official Post

Here are the rules governing the purchase of dollars, which I grabbed off the Banco Galicia site. It almost makes it a crime to want to buy any and excludes a whole segment of people.

The 30% and 35% are the stingers.

A partir del 16 de septiembre el límite mensual de USD200 aplica tanto para comprar moneda extranjera, como para los consumos que hagas con las tarjetas de crédito y débito. Además, se te va a cobrar el “Impuesto País” del 30% y se sumará una retención del 35% por ganancias y bienes personales.

☝️ Recordá que el límite de 200 USD es personal y mensual, por eso no importa en qué banco hagas la compra de dólares o con qué tarjeta realices el consumo, todo impacta el mismo límite.

¿En qué casos NO se podrá comprar dólares para ahorro?

• Si superaste en el mes el cupo de USD200 para ahorrar o en consumos con tus tarjeta de crédito o débito.
    • Si sacaste un préstamo con “Tasa 0%”, “Tasa 0 cultura” o “tasa 24%” y aún no terminaste de pagarlo.
    • Si tenés una refinanciación de tarjeta de crédito y no lo cancelaste.
    • Si recibiste el beneficio de dejar de pagar y diferir tus cuotas de un crédito personal, prendario o hipotecario.
    • Si tenés un crédito hipotecario UVA, mientras las cuotas sigan “congeladas”.
    • Si recibiste alguna ayuda del Estado, sos beneficiario de algún plan de ayuda social, cobraste un subsidio almenticio, etc. Por ejemplo: IFE o Asignacion Universal por hijo.
    • Si algún cotitular de la cuenta realizó una compra de dólares en la misma cuenta durante el mes.
    • Si vendiste títulos en dólares y no pasaron 90 días desde la fecha de la venta.
    • Si son beneficiario o estás bajo el régimen de ATP ("Asistencia al Trabajo y la Producción")
    • Si no contás con ingresos justificables.

Which is why everyone is buying in blue, even though the president clearly wants to destroy the black/blue market so they can massage the figures and put just one official artificial exchange rate.

• Official Post

They have cracked down on them, when they can find them. In fact, even during Macri's time, they were jumping on them and most of the big ones have now closed or are about to close with the loss of hundreds of jobs.

I know this because Adri has them as clients, or at least used to before they closed their doors. Having said that, there will always be cuevas/black market outlets hidden away.