The judicial reform bill

There are 16 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,776 times. The latest Post () was by Semigoodlooking.

• Official Post

Many see this reform bill as a thinly veiled attempt by ex-president Cristina Fernandez to have any and probably all charges of corruption against her, dropped.

In that respect, this view is supported by the fact that her personal lawyer, Carlos Beraldi, is part of the committee overseeing the reform. That in itself is a blatant slap in the face for anyone who believes in the fundamental separation of powers, which the Peronist parties, in all their guises, have always enjoyed abusing.

One cannot help thinking that this particular area of protection must have been on the ex-president's bucket list when she anointed Alberto Fernandez for president.

Let's not forget that it was she who named him as presidential candidate in the first place as opposed to him nominating her as VP. That in itself speaks volumes.

• One cannot help thinking that this particular area of protection must have been on the ex-president's bucket list when she anointed Alberto Fernandez for president.

Let's not forget that it was she who named him as presidential candidate in the first place as opposed to him nominating her as VP. That in itself speaks volumes.

Of course, and it says a lot that no-one is surprised this is happening. Everybody in Argentina knew this but enough still voted for him/her. Madness that they just accept this level of corruption here.

Disregarding my view that ex presidents should not be allowed to have high-level power again, the fact Argentina was willing to embrace CFK again say as much about people here as it does about her.

Question is, was this play ONLY to have the charges against her removed, or is there a wider scheme in the works? Is she willing for Alberto to keep going? She may allow Alberto to ride the COVID-19 and resulting ecomomic storm, see his popularity crumble, and become the fall guy. She will then swoop in to "save" the people and assume power. That should read like a bad conspiracy, but here it is a real possibility. Interestingly, many idiots in this country would fall for her savior act.

Another question, can this government possibly win the next election? I mean in any other country (apart from the US it seems), this kinds of governing administration would be voted out at the next election. Who knows in Argentina.

• Official Post

Another question, can this government possibly win the next election? I mean in any other country (apart from the US it seems), this kinds of governing administration would be voted out at the next election. Who knows in Argentina.

I have absolutely no doubt that this government would win the next election because the opposition still haven't realised that it needs a strong figurehead to take on Peronism.

Macri wasn't that man and we all knew that right from the start. In fact, it's a miracle he won in the first place.

This bunch will be around as far as the eye can see, unfortunately.

• My question is this: are there ANY non-peronist or even moderate(?) peronists in their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s who feel enough outrage to actually be trying to do anything about the government? They and their children will be much more affected than the over-50’s, yet I hear nothing coming from any of them

• I have said, and been laughed at for it, on this board that Cristina's goal is to become like Venezuela. It seems she has decided she and her cronies need to act quickly to push towards that. It is some kind of shock and awe tactic where it is one scandal after another, and for the most part they are getting away with it. She has accelerated her questionable actions based on questionable motives and Alberto looks like he is along for the ride. I have never said it will work and Argentina will become Venezuela 2.0, I have just always said it is what many of those currently in power want and it is not impossible.

Through each month and each controversy, those institutions many held up as protection against these assholes are being eroded. I genuinely belive if these politicians win the next election it is game over for Argentina. People in this country have to get them out and for good this time.

• Official Post

I have said, and been laughed at for it, on this board that Cristina's goal is to become like Venezuela. It seems she has decided she and her cronies need to act quickly to push towards that. It is some kind of shock and awe tactic where it is one scandal after another, and for the most part they are getting away with it. She has accelerated her questionable actions based on questionable motives and Alberto looks like he is along for the ride. I have never said it will work and Argentina will become Venezuela 2.0, I have just always said it is what many of those currently in power want and it is not impossible.

Through each month and each controversy, those institutions many held up as protection against these assholes are being eroded. I genuinely belive if these politicians win the next election it is game over for Argentina. People in this country have to get them out and for good this time.

I am not sure how much we can still count on elections to bring changes in Argentina, to be honest. According to my husband, it is a matter of time before they find an excuse to kick away Alberto, so that Cristina can take charge and 'rescue' the country. Considering Alberto has a four-year mandate, she should be doing this in the next 1-2 years. Then it's a matter of time before she changes the voting laws and stuff.

I was shocked to see how quickly she got rid of the judges that have been investigating her business. This is the 10th month in office of Alberto - ten months to achieve such a bold move is really impressive, so I am sure they can get what they want fairly quickly.

• I posted the following list a couple of weeks back showing the naughty things Alberto/Cristina have done in just 10 months. Or, more accurately, the naughty things I can remember:

Attacks against freedom of press/speech

Attacks against institutions

Strict governance of the freedom of movement

Strict governance of the freedom to socialize

A full frontal war against the middle class brewing

Apparently now stoping the import of books

Increasingly isolating from the local international region

Economy in the toilet

Corruption abounds through government and seems to be worsening and going unchecked

Allowing crime to become a major concern

Blaming citizens for the problems in the country

Trying to play economic tricks like buying out struggling companies

Trying to change laws to favor their own gain

Trying to install judges who perform political and legal favors

Stupid shit like letting prisoners out of prison with not accountability

Playing tricks to silence political opponents

Indeed, it is an impressive push they are doing to tear apart Argentina. As I said, it is probably because they know they need to do it fast. I am interested if anyone can add to this list, have a I forgotten some stuff, or has more happened since I originally posted it?

• Semigoodlooking , I don’t recall anyone on the forum laughing at you for sounding the alarm, but in any case, I can tell you that I take your warning very seriously. And now you can add to your list, the successful removal of the judges assigned to cases against Cristina.

Reading your list while in the US is doubly worrying to me, and I take the warning very personally, given the similar actions that are rapidly taking place here in America. Cristina is canny enough to put her plan in place in the first year of this duo’s regime - and I mean that word - rather than waiting until the six months before the next election/coronation. I give her one more year to complete the process of kicking Alberto out; close watchers will see the steps she takes in the meantime towards that end.

• Official Post

Adri reckons that this was her plan all along, but she believes that once her impunity is signed and sealed, she'll take a back seat and melt into the background.

Only if Nestor and Florencia can have it, too. She is an Argentinian mama.

I think she really likes to be adored like Evita. She doesn't strike me as someone who would fade in the background if given the chance!

• She is also not motivated by money. Stealing is what she does to keep her cronies on side because they may not share he ideals but like the fat pay they get from following her. Cristina is an extreme leftist and money is merely a nice byproduct of what she is trying to achieve. If she was in a country closer to collapse or one with any international power she would be one of the most dangerous leaders in the world.

• If CFK was only interested by money she would have sailed off into the sunset a long time ago. We all know she is extremely wealthy and she clearly has more money than people think. Her only wanting money would also mean Argentina is not in the place it is today. Many things that have happened and are happening now are not motivated by economy. She wants power, money helps with that but it’s a tool for her. We should all be hoping all she wants is money... if that’s the case, Argentina will be fine.