US Presidential Elections 2020

There are 182 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 26,510 times. The latest Post () was by daniel.

• daniel, I’m so glad you brought up trump’s accomplishments. Would you please list a dozen or so of them, so I can try to find some common ground?

Thank you!

I know what you will say but here is the list

https://www.whitehouse.gov/tru…stration-accomplishments/

Pretty good for 4years and fighting impeachment along the way!!!

If I had been him I would have resigned a long time ago!!!

Let us see if Biden and Harris live up to their campaign promises, OH!! silly me, I can't recall any being made, except defund the police and support for Planned Parenthood!!!!

Maybe you can enlighten me with a little more transparency for their upcoming Presidential term.

• Primary sources are usually a good start. Biden has emphatically affirmed that he is not in favor of defunding the police, daniel , regardless of what FoxNews and their White House spin doctors say.

As for this president’s accomplishments? The extensive list put out by the president’s own people after 1.67 years in office, would not hold up to any fact checker standards. It would indeed be impressive if compiled by a disinterested third party, given the overwhelming number of mistruths he has become famous for. (His dissembling began long before his self-admitted misleading statements on the dangers of COVID-19.)

[See “Why Hard Core Trump Supporters Ignore His Lies” : https://www.google.com/amp/s/t…rs-ignore-his-lies-144650]

Why not give the new president the same benefit of the doubt that you gave the last one?

• Official Post

For a start, I can't see Biden arguing with reporters he doesn't like and calling them horrible people and spreaders of fake news because they don't lick his feet.

Or suck up to tyrants like Putin or Erdogan and others.

Or tell people to drink disinfectant and encourage right wing extremists to violence.

To name but a few aberrations of his presidency.

• I assume the Trump supporters on these boards are really Republican supporters. You, out of everyone, should be the most concerned. Trump has bastardized what the party stands for, its politics, and its ethics. This was not a partisan election, it was one to remove something that has poisoned conservatism as much as it has challenged the left.

I believe any Republican supporter should hang their head in shame at backing Trump. He is not a Republican and used you all for his own gain. He holds you in as much contempt as he does the Democrats. In fact, I still think at his core he is more liberal than conservative.

I am from the left, but I really miss what the Republican Party once was. It used to mean something, but now it does not. It’s an empty shell.

Besides that, supporter or not, he lost. There was no mass fraud and Trump is using his own intelligence to prey on the lack of intelligence of his supporters. It seems that is apparent even here.

• Rice ...Time will tell!!!

• Even though I don't rate Biden, I'm glad he won. The Democrats really need someone on the ilk of Obama. Doesn't have to be black. And they need someone a lot younger

This is what I thought, as it wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement of Biden

Republican have won some seats in the House of Representative, basically, they just wanted Trump out, but Biden in check in the things he may get up to

• And there will be a lot of shouting.

I have been mega critical of Biden and knew exactly what Trump would attempt to do. I take back my comment about not voting for Biden. It was too militant and on reflection if I were able to vote in this election I would have. Biden would have had my vote. Trump has always been a curiostiy to me. I know he has bad intentions and hate his politics, but he also interests me because in many ways he has overturned what we expect from politics. He showed up the institutions and I hoped it would create major change in the Democrat party. It sadly did not at least for this term.

Those are where my concerns about Biden come from. I actually like him but think his time is past because he represents something the DNC should be moving away from. That said, after Trump has confirmed my predictions this week it is very clear he had to be removed. He is possibly the most dangerous person in the world at this very moment. Let's be clear, he does not care about upholding democracy, making America great again, or any of that. He cares about himself. That would be fine, I guess, if he could actually play the game and deliver... but he cannot. So, because he is so selfish he wants to tear at the fabric of American society. What a loser he is. Worse are those who actually believe him. Never trust a politician (Biden included), especially one who lived his life proving he is a selfish liar who is only out for himself.

• Official Post

I've never really understood American politics until now and truly believe that it's more tribal than political, since the lines between the two parties are blurred by money and self interest.

Unlike British politics, which is more defined between left and right, with the likes of Foot, Corbyn, Kinnock etc al, simply as mouth pieces for the unions.

I may be wrong, but this is certainly a turning pint for America and having observed the last four years of chaos, division and hatred - mainly emanating from the president - I can only hope for normal service being resumed in January.

• Congress should be able to stop spending, definitely would stop the addition of civil servants, à la Cristina. As for deals like the one you describe with the saudis, he pulled one of those deals already, so Congress should be prepared. Now that republican senators no longer have to cower under the threat of his nicknames and tweets, perhaps some of them will re-grow the spines they used to have, and remember that they are supposed to be a separate branch of govt, meant to stop that kind of under-the-counter dealing.