There are 37 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,546 times. The latest Post () was by SpaceNut.

• The Ted Lasso episodes needs to be longer. It is too short at 30 minutes. I think it's finished at episode 10. Normally they would put a thumbnail of the next episode, it hasn't happened this week

They've added two shows. One called Tiny World, a documentary...and Tehran, about a Mossad agent whose cover gets blown

• Not convinced there is enough content on Apple TV to justify paying them per month. Yup, the free subscription, courtesy of buying an iPad comes to an end. That also means an end to my warranty to the iPad. If it goes shits up from now on, I'll probably have to pay them to fix it, or risk shitty repairmen in local shops who just go around destroying iPhones because they probably want to

• Fortunately, iPads seem to live as long as zombies. My husband still enjoys using one that is at least 15 years old. (Meanwhile, our laptops, used far less vigorously, seem to regularly check out after about 6 years.)

• Yeah, iPads are of excellent build quality, iPhones too, and will last you years and years provided you don't drop it. Android phones less so. I tend to have Android because I prefer the variety in designs of handsets (yes, I am shallow). Still, there is no doubt the build quality of iPhone is a step above even the best Samsung devices. My wife takes her iPhone X out of its case and it is pristine even after 3 years. I was holding a Note 20 (Samsung), a device that is three years newer, looks amazing, and is certainly not built poorly, but it just doesn't compare to the 3-year-old iPhone.

It is part of the reason Apple dominates sales.

However, as the iPhone/Ipad ages the biggest problem is software. If you enjoy apps then at some point your iPad/iPhone will become useless to you. That's less of a proble with me because I do not download a lot of apps. Of course, your device leaving the support window also means it will not get security updates or fixes for bugs. That is less of a problem on iOS because it is a closed system. It is also worth noting this is not an issue exlucisve to iOS... Android devices also have almost identical, and often worse, support cycles.

• Semigoodlooking , please elaborate on “as the iPhone/Ipad ages the biggest problem is software. If you enjoy apps then at some point your iPad/iPhone will become useless to you.”

Thanks!

At some point Apple stops supporting a device if it becomes too old. That means new versions of iOS will be available for that device. So, if you buy a new iPhone today, it ships with iOS 14. It will be able to get future version updates (iOS 15, iOS 16, etc.) until Apple cuts support. Once this happens, your iPhone will not get the latest iOS versions.

That means no security updates or fixes for bugs. However, it also means developer support for older iOS versions dries up. Many developers will only maintain their apps on the latest versions of a platfrom, so if your iPhone is stuck on an older version it will not receive app updates and frequently the app will simply stop working on your phone.

This used to be a much bigger problem on iOS than it is now. I had a 1st generation iPad that became almost useless in terms of using apps... still fine for browsing though. I mean YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, Gmail, Maps, all became useless and/or unavailable.

However, Apple has made massive strides in device support in recent years. The company now promises to support all devices for 7 years. That means the iPhone you buy today with iOS 14 will continue to get support right up to iOS 21 in seven years time. The oldest iPhone currently getting iOS 14 is the iPhone 6s/6s Plus, which launched back in 2015. It's last iOS update (15) will come next year. After that, if you happen to still have an iPhone 6S, your app situation will become more sketchy.

It is also worth noting that app developers may continue to maintain their app even if Apple is not offering support of an older iOS version. Another note is Apple's seven-year support is excellent service in my opinion and I think 7 years is fair considering most people will change their phone in that time. For comparison, Samsung only supports phones for four years.

I hope that is not too complicated, but that's how it works.

Edit to add I think support for fixing an Apple product is less than seven years, but I am not sure how much. So, if you're device breaks and you wants an official fix, it's worth checking how long Apple provdies services for.

• Official Post

It is also worth noting that app developers may continue to maintain their app even if Apple is not offering support of an older iOS version. Another note is Apple's seven-year support is excellent service in my opinion and I think 7 years is fair considering most people will change their phone in that time. For comparison, Samsung only supports phones for four years.

Still, Apple made a point to pay more for their product because they last longer... However, 7 years is still half the duration of their products. Our Apple devices are all old and we are starting to experience software issues (no hardware issue for the most part).

Each of us has an iMac, a Macbook, an iPad, and an iPhone.

Except for the iPhones, which are just three years old, the other Apple devices are from 2014 or earlier. As such, their OS is no longer updated and some apps / softwares are no longer compatible.

The most tedious part is that the icloud (which allowed to share stuff across devices) has cross-OS compatibility issues. I.e. we cannot sync our modern iPhone with the older computer/iPads.

The iPads are running slow, and the apps often freeze and shut down unexpectedly. They also navigate slowly (or perhaps we got used to navigating at higher speed from other devices).

One thing that has remained consistent is touch sensitivity. The screens are always very reactive, and the slow interaction is entirely software. Aesthetically they just have minor dents but are still good-looking (we also used them with a case and only at home since we moved here, which certainly helped).

At this point, I would like to upgrade the devices but I am not sure if it would be better to try and sell what I have here in Argentina, and buy 2nd hand in Europe; or trade-in my old iPad in Europe for a newer model. Last time I went home, my cousins brought me to Chinatown and I traded my old Macbook, which had serious issues (booting issues) for a newer model for €300. I was very happy with the exchange because the newer model is 15" Retina and the screen is AMAZING. If only I could do the same with the iMac...

• I've got an iPad that dates back to 2013, but was released in 2012. The battery performance as you would expect by now is horrifically poor. Download any app updates, and its already half way through the battery. I will still keep it for as long as possible to get something on a money back scheme if there was something that interested me

• I have an old iPad that dates to 2010, if I’m remembering correctly. The battery has held up remarkably well, though it is so slow to load that I can’t bear to use it anymore. Still, during the time I’ve used it, I’ve burned through 3 pc’s, so my respect for the iPad remains untarnished.

• My free sub ended at the beginning of the month. I am missing Ted Lasso as I don't think there's any justification to spend £4.99 pcm for basically one good series a month. The last time they added a good movie was Greyhound, which says a lot about Apple TV. Not enough content