Does anyone hide food around the house?

• Living with 23 year old who's built like a brick sh*t house means that when he's foraging for food, it's like a swarm of locusts has descended.

For that reason I squirrel away food (bananas, Doritos, Kit Kats, biscuits and other essentials) so that I know it'll be there when I need it. Not mention when he has a gang around - they can strip the house bare of grub in minutes.

Anyone else do this?

• If we had a 23 year old living with us, I’d have already had a safe installed and would keep all the things you listed, locked up. Do the locusts hit the wine and booze too?

• Helpful

That is a great opportunity to get rid of all the stuff you don't like, just leave it accessible and hide the stuff you like.

I personally do that with unwanted neighbors that just pop in without calling first, i had bought some cheap ass coffee once same with some cookies and such , actually i had a portion of a shelf in my pantry for exactly that. However , you must practice your used car salesman abilities when presenting said product......aahh noooo pero no sabessss lo que es esstooo tenes que probarlo never fails and i even got rid of some liquor someone had given me that was impossible to drink

• I had to do the same where I live with housemates, at most times they're not the most pleasant people

But what really got my goat, was this French guy, who in fair was offering me wine. But he was stealing my food from the fridge. He thought that sharing the kitchen commune, meant taking other people's food and not offering anything in return other than to try make me docile by giving me wine

I told the agency who were looking after the place, they in turn, gave him a bollocking. He left the next day

• Normally there's stuff on sale and you can fake it that, i'm not ashamed to confess i have used imported cookies tins and refilling it with the cheap stuff, but in my defense i have to say, i learnt that from my bro when he refilled a fine bottle of scotch with cheap stuff to test this other friend of his who proclaimed himself an expert on all whiskey related topics....... the dude never knew the difference...

• Normally there's stuff on sale and you can fake it that, i'm not ashamed to confess i have used imported cookies tins and refilling it with the cheap stuff, but in my defense i have to say, i learnt that from my bro when he refilled a fine bottle of scotch with cheap stuff to test this other friend of his who proclaimed himself an expert on all whiskey related topics....... the dude never knew the difference...

The whisky trick is well used in some Scottish pubs....especially when an American tour bus comes calling. :whistling:

As for serving crap coffee to your pestering neighbours...here it's impossible to serve anything else but crap coffee....even the stuff that costs a fortune ^^

• I hope you don’t ever forget where you have one hidden, Splinter . Ugh!

I couldn’t trust myself to hide anything that perishable, but it has crossed my mind that hiding cookies or chocolates might be a good idea during quarantine, to make sure we have a small emergency supply -

• Can you recommend any good hiding places, Semigoodlooking ? Not that I’d ever consider hiding cookies from my husband, of course....

Underwear draw is a good place. I don't think either of my teenagers want to go rummaging there. If they do, we have more to discuss than them taking food.

I am comfortably the tallest in the house, so the very top shelf of the kitchen cupboards is another good bet. Obscured by something else of course (I find pasta works well).

• Both are excellent suggestions, Semigoodlooking . I’ll try after modifying to fit the fact that my husband is a bit taller than I am. Underwear drawer is brilliant. Also hiding behind something that must first be cooked.

Your underwear drawer idea reminded me of the teenage fashion craze of 1990, when high school girls wore men’s boxer shorts over their own slacks or leggings. A friend of ours was forced to hide his underwear in the locked trunk of his car.