Corona Virus in Argentina

There are 521 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,936 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Official Post

They stop all cars and lorries but allow motorbikes to go through the checkpoint without stopping them. That tells you how f'ing stupid it is!! Then they wonder why the number of positive cases here are on the rise!!! :rolleyes: All a bit of a pantomime.

Why do you think that there are so many people who are supposed to be trained/checking others who are actually failing to perform their duties?

The first to break the self-quarantine rules, were doctors coming from vacation abroad. @Glasgowlohn 's friend got coronavirus from a careless dentist, many nurses brought covid-19 into elder homes because they attended parties during their time off, etc.

Is it their lack of understanding of basic health procedure? Is it their unwillingness to follow rules? Or aren't they intellectually capable to grasp the health safety measures that are suggested from the Ministry of Health?

• Is it their lack of understanding of basic health procedure? Is it their unwillingness to follow rules? Or aren't they intellectually capable to grasp the health safety measures that are suggested from the Ministry of Health?

Maybe it is the counter narrative - weather true or not - that COVID is not that bad and being overblown, this will embolden many people. Then they also see governments breaking the rules of the lockdowns they demand people to adhere by. And also, some people are just unwilling to be X amount of months away from some family members/friends. Breaking the rules of lockdown is something we have seen across countries and not just Argentina, so maybe it's just something more deeply engrained in us as humans, such as being stubborn, an inherent need for social interaction, or both.

• Maybe it is the counter narrative - weather true or not - that COVID is not that bad and being overblown, this will embolden many people. Then they also see governments breaking the rules of the lockdowns they demand people to adhere by. And also, some people are just unwilling to be X amount of months away from some family members/friends. Breaking the rules of lockdown is something we have seen across countries and not just Argentina, so maybe it's just something more deeply engrained in us as humans, such as being stubborn, an inherent need for social interaction, or both.

OK!! And do you adhere to all safety precautions for COVID?

• OK!! And do you adhere to all safety precautions for COVID?

Nope, I am included in "people".

I think anyone who says they do may be lying. There's some guy on the other forum who I think is a good poster. However, he provided a list of all the precautions he takes and it is hilarious. He is either lying or spending all his day washing himself, his house, his clothes, his pets, etc.

• Official Post

I have relaxed a little bit myself, but I am more cautious than my inner circle, apparently.

For example, I no longer wear my N95 mask: I bought a fabric one and it is enough to go out and about. However, I put the N95 in the middle when I have to stay in close proximity with someone else, for example, when I had to go to the veterinary.

We still use a sponge with bleach to clean packaged food/good we bring into the house, especially those from supermarkets where many people could have touched them. We don't wear shoes in the house, but that was something we used to do even before. I no longer wear gloves, but I wash my hands with chlorhexidine surgical soap when entering the house from outside.

I don't feel okay walking bare face on the street and crossing other bare faced people. I have declined invitations to go out for a coffee because it is not appealing to me. Sitting on a sidewalk with bare faced strangers around me chatting, eating and drinking doesn't feel safe. I would be okay with sitting in my private terrace 2 meters to someone else and sharing a meal, though.

We are lucky enough to have our own small terrace, so there is no real incentive to go out in a riskier setting.

I see many people not wearing a mask, either because they are officially out running or cycling, or because they wear it under the nose/chin.

I also see that some people carelessly do it without asking if the other people are okay with them not wearing a mask and there is an embarrassing moment where we try to guess how compliant the other party has been and how much of a risk he/she poses.

• I think what y’all are describing is called selfishness. Caring more about one’s own vacation or family visits than about others who could become infected. Not pausing to care about possible effects on people with compromised immune systems or compromised lungs.

Do we all adhere to ALL safety precautions? No. As more is learned about this virus, the recommended precautions evolve.

Back in March, when we now know some world leaders knew this was an airborne virus but they didn’t share that information with the people, we were overwhelmed with possible ways the virus might be spread. In March/April/May, we did what now seems to be laughable overkill, using a chlorine solution to wipe down doorknobs, arriving packages, all groceries; immediately laundering our clothes and showering when returning from the grocery store; wearing disposable gloves in the pharmacy or hardware store.

Looking back, that was a laughable abundance of caution, but at that time we didn’t know that this virus was preponderantly spread through respiration rather than through touched surfaces. So now, while we do scrub our hands often, our focus is on staying 2-3 meters away from others, wearing masks, and limiting time in shared indoor spaces.

This will be the first time ever, that our family won’t be able to be together for the holidays, and that is really, really hard. We also remain very sad not to be in Argentina right now, as we have been for the past 15 years. But all the other precautions we are all being asked to take are simply inconveniences we’re more than willing to endure.

We haven’t come anywhere near a restaurant since February. We aren’t comfortable with the thought of flying anywhere until the pandemic subsides. Are any of you comfortable doing either of these things, or are we overly cautious?

• Back in March, when we now know some world leaders knew this was an airborne virus

I am not for sure this has been officially declared an airborne virus, but only that it can be atomized, when expelled, to a point it where it may linger in the air. Humans may have

to evolve with a "covid warning light" that may say "do not approach", until then everyone is a potential carrier. We all took for granted the freedom, before covid.

• Official Post

A woman got his DL suspended because she was driving to a supermarket 20 blocks from her place.

Cuarentena: fue en auto al supermercado a 20 cuadras de su casa y le sacaron el registro

I am quite surprised: they have reopened most businesses, but you can't go there unless you live nearby or get a permit. Among the commentaries to the above linked article, a woman commented in defense of the Police: she says she always asks and get a permission to go to the supermarket of her choice by car, adding that it's free and it's not worth the risk. "The rules must be followed", she wrote.

It still seems ridiculous that you have to ask and actually get an authorization to go to the supermarket of your choice. I can't find a valid reason for authorizing to go in person to a specific supermarket.

So should I get a permit to go to the hairdresser of my choice and one for my husband to drive me there? I have a DL but officially I am not authorized to drive the abuela's car because my name is not on the cedula azul, only my husband's.

• Nothing certain at the moment.

There is some talk that the last year of secondary school will be extended until March .....

Everything else will be finished in mid December .

Looks unlikely that normal presential classes will be back anytime soon.